Recent content by fouillard13

1. F

TDI timing belt replacement expense

$2800 should straight up be reported as theft. what a joke.
  2. F

Timing Belt Interval

ive got a 2003 with 108,000km on my timing belt system. its 8,000km over and I cringe every time I start it or drive it down the highway.
  3. F

Self powered Frostheater idea.

a webasto also only provides cab heat right? Does it do anything for the cold motor?
  4. F

Not dead set. Just wondering if anything like this can be done efficiently or safely or if it’s possible with any amount of money. Maybe I’m onto something. Maybe I’m an idiot. I dunno. Probably the latter. Maybe jumper box was the wrong work. The jackery 1000 power station powered someone’s...
  5. F

Exhaust fumes smell in cab. How to find leak?

I will try. It’s tricky. hint: one cold start I then popped the hood and it was billowing smoke out from under the hood too. also. Seems the intake fan sucks in exhaust fumes. Real bad. makes me think it’s something right under the hood…. ill add that to my “to-do” list too. Ugh.
  6. F

Helly Hansen wool onesie, sweat pants, carhartt bibs, long sleeve shirt. Hoodie. Jacket. Balaclava. Heat cranked all day. This -30, feels like -38c cold spell is no joke. I’m fine. It’s the unplugged car that ain’t happy haha.
  7. F

So let’s replace the battery with a medium sized jumper box which would 100% power the Frostheater for 3 hours. How long would that take for an alternator to charge it then? Or when you get home, plug the Frostheater in AND the jumper box to charge all night. Both plugs up front and next to...
  8. F

Ok I’ve been thinking. Would this work? 1. How long can a Frostheater run off of a car battery for? Even a large fancy battery if needed 2. how long would it take for the alternator to charge a fully dead car battery from question 1? 3. how long does the Frostheater need to run to make a...
  9. F

Hmm. What’s the trick for finding the leak? Especially since I’m checking when warm and the car won’t be smokey. Check for a soot spot or the soap and water test or what?
  10. F

Ok yeah it’s bad now. 2003 tdi Jetta MK4. -22c cold start. It struggled a tad so was naturally smokey. Here’s the problem.. It idled for about 15 seconds while I wiped snow. When I opened the door to get in, the entire cab was hot boxed with diesel smoke, as well as me constantly smelling...
  11. F

2003 tdi Jetta struggled to start at -16c. Video inside

im not too sure to be honest. my brother hooked it up and pressed the button and said its fine all within about 6 seconds. engine was off for the test. I believe I do have a compression tester... somewhere. I will try to dig it up.
  12. F

Yeah that’s what it’s showing isn’t it? 12v system pushing 800+ cca and in the green zone. just ordered a new starter. valeo for $190usd
  13. F

Warm starts are very good. Other than the odd starter squeal which I’ve had for about a year. So no doubt it’s on its way out. battery tested fine
  14. F

Yeah good points. I’ve put 120,000km on this car and it’s been good to me. If I sunk in another $2-3000 into it I’m sure it would be good for another 100k+ km. Just sucks it’s all hitting at once. And during winter. The wipers don’t spray either now. It’s alwaysssssssss something.
  15. F

Ahhh I thought you guys meant the egr flex pipe that always breaks too. so. Now I need exhaust work? (And a timing belt. And a starter. And suspension. And rear beam bushings. And airbags fixed. And a blower fan. And lifters. And injectors. And and and….. hmmm