Recent content by Fongpei

1. Fongpei

Buying & Selling TDIs? Read this first!!

Im sad to say I've lost one of the best engines ever to a timing belt. Its time I finally put my 2004 5sp Jetta up for sale. Was thinking of doing an engine swap, but my partner is not about to have me in the garage upgrading the intercooler, getting a few turbo, etc. The car sits on h&r...
  2. Fongpei

Bilstein shocks and struts with H&R lowered springs MKIV

Any chance you still have the shocks?
  3. Fongpei

PARTING OUT: MK4 Jetta mods and goodies!

Any chance you still have the shocks/springs?
  4. Fongpei

Bay Area interior lining restoration?

I used California Covers in Downtown Oakland for a Recaro seat and they did the mouse fur for the head liner. It did cost a pretty penny though. IIRC about $400 for the liner as its was for my Jetta wagon. I've had good results with 3m adhesive spray through a tube into the liner itself then...
  5. Fongpei

WTB MKIV shocks and lowering springs

Anyone have a set of decent shocks/springs for sale. Don’t want too low of a ride. I have FK springs and they’re too stiff and low for my taste.
  6. Fongpei

Hard Lesson Learned on VNT17 PN:778445-0010

Caveat emptor. I blew my KP39 on my wagon a while back and didn't have enough money to buy the VNT17 from my usual sources, so I head to eBay for a "deal". Turns out the turbo I bought didn't come with a actuator, but came in a brand new box from Garrett and all seemed fine. FF to now and I...
  7. Fongpei

VNT17 Upgrade Actuator BEW Thoughts

Thanks for all the followup guys. Of course I found a tuner that had the turbo but no actuator. It was a great deal and couldnt pass it up. I've been putting off buying the actuator because of the different things i've heard about whether it makes sense to use the "smart" actuator. From what...
  8. Fongpei

VNT17 Upgrade Actuator BEW Thoughts

I blew my turbo and bought a VNT17 as the replacement. The turbo did not come with an actuator, so questions is what are the options out there. 1. Buy the Smart Actuator for the VNT17 (Abt $200) 2. Rig the old actuator with new hardware to be compatible with the VNT17 linkage. 3. Buy a "non...
  9. Fongpei

WTB - VNT17 Smart Actuator for BEW

Check out my post Just in case you were curious as to my post.
  10. Fongpei

WTB - VNT17 Smart Actuator for BEW

I bought a VNT17 that did not have an actuator. So, if anyone has a Smart Actuator for sale, lmk. Its for a 2004 Jetta BEW engine.
  11. Fongpei

FS: New VNT17 Smart (BEW) Actuator (outside boston)

Do you still have this for sale? I bought a VNT17 w/o actuator for my BEW. LMK
  12. Fongpei

Mystery Power Steering Leak

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to a machine shop and they said the helicoil should work well. I found a kit that has the 14m x 1.5 insert so gonna try that first, although I’m also thinking that a new rack is not that expensive given the amount of time I’m spending on this. If it comes out...
  13. Fongpei

Mystery Power Steering Leak

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=125036&title=steering-rack-repairable-3flast-pic-of-series&cat=500
  14. Steering Rack Repairable?  Last pic of series

Steering Rack Repairable? Last pic of series

Forgot what led me to use an impact on this but might have tightened before loosening. Retap the threads?
  15. Steering Rack Repairable?  Stripped steering column

Steering Rack Repairable? Stripped steering column

Forgot what led me to use an impact on this but might have tightened before loosening. Retap the threads?