Recent content by FlyTDI Guy

1. FlyTDI Guy

IQ adaptation. Effect on throttle?

Stock, all the ALH's I've owned had IQ OEM values of around 2.8 or less. Not an inappropriate number for a completely stock car. Mileage was great. It's when you go to bigger nozzles, tune, turbo or all the above that you'll probably find yourself adjusting your IQ. Often, people are trying...
  2. FlyTDI Guy

How long should an upgraded clutch last?

The DC stage-2 has a heavy diaphragm spring in it. That's going to affect the longivity of the disc facings. That said, I've got around 70-80k on mine. Pedal engages noticeably higher than when new. Still locks up fine though.
  3. FlyTDI Guy

Timing belt tensioner nightmare

Buried somewhere here on Fred's, I recall a thread that showed quite a number of tensioners that had failed. Usually bent or sheared at the tab. As for the OP, sounds like you may have a damaged tensioner and/or less than competent installers. Torque is supposed to be 15 ft/lbs for the...
  4. FlyTDI Guy

Error Code... Start of Ignition Timing Regulation... help please

The only times I've seen that code it was associated with an injection pump problem. Something may have come loose with the pounding you took. I'd check out the IP wiring, connectors including your injector #3 wiring.
  5. FlyTDI Guy

Frozen door - anoying

A lot of people recommend this: https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1487167108&sr=8-18-spons&keywords=door+seal+protector+car&psc=1
  6. FlyTDI Guy

A/C Clutch Kit Question...

Probably the same person that screwed your front valence to the car... :) Glad you found the problem.
  7. FlyTDI Guy

What anti-gel additives does everyone here use?

I have to agree, Diesel 911 is not intended for full time use. IIRC, it has alcohol in it which is not good for seals. Optilube XPD, DieselKleen White, Stanadyne and others offer anti-gel which, when dosed properly, should protect you in all but the worst of conditions. OptiLube fares well in...
  8. FlyTDI Guy

Anyone have experience with DC Stage 2 AND SBC Stage 2 or 3 clutches

Having a DC Stage 2, I can say that peddle effort will definitely be different between the two. The DC-2 has a heavy diaphragm in the pressure plate and peddle effort is definitely higher than stock. Many here have commented on the ease of effort for the SBC line (2&3). Something to consider...
  9. FlyTDI Guy

My dog ate my rfid chip

As we all well know, sh*t happens so hang in there...
  10. FlyTDI Guy

Priming injection pump

Being combustion ignition, you bypass all timing mechanisms when you shoot volatile liquids down the intake. Early ignition would be a bad thing.
  11. FlyTDI Guy

Timing Belt Replacement Question - Need Help - Can Not Insert Locking Pin

Once the timing belt is loose/removed, yes you have to align all 3 elements independently. If the cam is locked, then you'll want to detention the belt, pop the cam pulley loose and loosen the 3 IP sprocket bolts. Use a 22mm (or 23mm) wrench to rotate the pump until you can insert the pin. Both...
  12. FlyTDI Guy

ALH Timing belt question

Cam is wildly out of time. Can you roll it over by hand using the crank? Not sure I would even try with the cam that far out. Not sure how much that engine has been rotated in that condition but I'd check out the top end for signs of collision. Also it's easy to miss the IP lock hole. Looks...
  13. FlyTDI Guy

ALH - hard start, can't idle & dies over 3k rpm

In all the years I've been reading posts, I think this is the first time I've heard of this kind of failure. Though expensive, congrats on your hard earned victory.
  14. FlyTDI Guy

Dead vnt 17/22

Just curious, how did it fail?
  15. FlyTDI Guy

What are people doing with the G72 IAT Sensor?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=vw%20map%20flange&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684