Recent content by efeballi

1. E

Rough idle and black smoke on full throttle - overfueling?

Update: after changing the filters, I wanted to take care of some loose wiring in the engine bay, by the EGR flap. Turns out that was the fuel temperature sensor, and I got a CEL the morning after, which VCDS revealed to be Fuel Temperature Sensor A - Open or Short to Plus. I logged the...
  2. E

Welp, I'm back with idle problems. The turbo problem turned out to be a hose completely worn through, changing it fixed the turbo. I've also done an oil change recently. Since the oil change, the car idles even worse than before, it almost dies before the ECM throttles up to keep the revs up...
  3. E

Update: the black smoke was mostly gone, except after long periods in stop-go traffic; which was to be expected. However, my hunch that there was a VNT actuation issue turned out to be true, car threw a P0299 Boost Control Range Not Reached error at ~6000ft elevation and went into limp mode. Had...
  4. E

1 week update: Car starts and idles much better, but some weird&intermittent clicking noise still remains. Fuel economy is also better but I can't see much difference in performance. I believe the clicking noise and the intermittent judder is the DMF, but I'm not sure what exactly to look for...
  5. E

I finally got around to swap the fuel pump today, the M14 triple square bit took forever to ship. Low fuel light was just about to come on, less than 1/4 fuel was left. There wasn't much of a mess and I had covered everywhere with towels. Car's idle sounds MUCH better, especially when cold. So...
  6. E

It's a badge engineered Golf Mk5. We got it new and took pretty good care of it in its 17 year lifespan. It was not exactly babied while driving but not overly stressed either. However, I should note that my country is known to be a meat grinder for all mechanical equipment and some car...
  7. E

Sweet mother of Merckx, I have all of these! I'm trying to find the part no. of the lift pump. I'll replace it right away. edit: part no appears to be 1K0 919 050
  8. E

Readings from VAGCOM: Idle fuel consumption: fluctuating between 0.4 and 0.6 l/h, 0.5 average Group 013 inj. readings: -0.18 0.13 0.19 -0.15 Fuel consumption at 2000 rpm: 1.3 l/h Going by what Franko6 says, that's really low! However, 1.8-2.4 l/h does seem really high to my eyes as the car uses...
  9. E

Hello, It's a BKD engine, one of the first 16V tdi's as far as i know. Is there any way to diagnose a problem with the tank lift pump, other than removing it?
  10. E

Thank you for the replies. The car's at 215000 km, all stock. Appears like camshafts may really be worn. I live in a pretty warm environment, we spend at most a week below 0C. I do have VAGCOM, I checked the torsion value and it's set to -0,5. If i understood correctly, I should play with it to...
  11. E

Hello all, My 2004 TDI has had a rough idle and black smoke on WOT since a couple of months. The smoke is not freight train-severe, but is noticeable nonetheless. I used to attribute the smoke to the long times I spend in stop-and-go traffic, as the low temps do not allow for carbon burnoff at...
  12. E

how many miles have you racked up on your TDI?

134k miles. I have only replaced wear items except that it ate a turbo a few years back. Did 42 mpg over 550 miles last week. Still feels more solid than the French s**tboxes people drive around here.
  13. E

Mk5 and Mk7 skidplates

Bumping. The bolt holes look to be at the same places but the shape appears slightly different. Don't wanna pull the trigger on a €350 item without making sure.
  14. E

Mk5 and Mk7 skidplates

Hello all, Some bonehead mechanic damaged the skid plate of my Altea (Golf Mk5 platform, higher roof, lower ground clearance, Golf Plus equivalent) and I'm interested in mounting something beefier in its place. I've seen that the Golf Alltrack has quite a substantial skid plate, but I'm not sure...
  15. E

Did a 600 mile trip today. 42 mpg, 55 mph avg. Can't ask for more really, still purring like a cat.

Did a 600 mile trip today. 42 mpg, 55 mph avg. Can't ask for more really, still purring like a cat.