Recent content by efeballi

1. E

how many miles have you racked up on your TDI?

134k miles. I have only replaced wear items except that it ate a turbo a few years back. Did 42 mpg over 550 miles last week. Still feels more solid than the French s**tboxes people drive around here.
  2. E

Mk5 and Mk7 skidplates

Bumping. The bolt holes look to be at the same places but the shape appears slightly different. Don't wanna pull the trigger on a €350 item without making sure.
  3. E

Mk5 and Mk7 skidplates

Hello all, Some bonehead mechanic damaged the skid plate of my Altea (Golf Mk5 platform, higher roof, lower ground clearance, Golf Plus equivalent) and I'm interested in mounting something beefier in its place. I've seen that the Golf Alltrack has quite a substantial skid plate, but I'm not sure...
  4. E

Did a 600 mile trip today. 42 mpg, 55 mph avg. Can't ask for more really, still purring like a cat.

Did a 600 mile trip today. 42 mpg, 55 mph avg. Can't ask for more really, still purring like a cat.
  5. E

Passat Occasional "Miss" at cold idle

good to know, and good luck with the TDI jeep!
  6. E

At this point it looks to me like the #3 injector is the culprit. The #3 is different as it measures the start, duration and end of ignition events. If you have compatible injectors in your other car, you should definitely try swapping over at least the #3 injector. Or better; if that other...
  7. E

White smoke may be an indication of unburnt fuel. As you have noted, injector 3 looks to be acting up, an overfueling injector may explain both the rough idle and the white smoke. There is a procedure for visual inspection of the camshaft that drives the injectors. I'm not sure why the rough...
  8. E

Longest commute.

Before my Masters', I used to do day trips every week to Ankara for work, 250 miles each way. Plus circa 100 miles there running errands to suppliers and customers. If you're buying your second full tank of diesel in the same day, you're driving a lot...
  9. E

No power and alot of smoke

In my case, the nipple on the airbox was not drilled, so the very beginning of the vacuum line from the air filter to the vacuum pump was blocked.
  10. E

mk6 golf tdi

+1 above. if you really want to throw the car around on a racetrack, i believe you should upgrade your tires, brakes and suspension, in that order. depending on what track you regularly go out on, you'll then have a better idea as to what components to upgrade. tracking a car is expensive, both...
  11. E

Foreign object damage in BKD turbo - how?

Well, in this case, I wasn't pushing the car particularly hard, no tuning, no towing, no track time, mostly tootling around in traffic. The turbo worked hard to compensate for the boost leak, that's why the turbine blade tips melted.
  12. E

No power and alot of smoke

Hi, This happened to me yesterday after changing the air filter housing. In your case the vacuum line may be clogged, in other words the pump receives (almost) no fresh air from the vacuum port. I fixed the problem (vacuum port was blocked, I drilled it open), but I found no stored fault codes...
  13. E

Foreign object damage in BKD turbo - how?

Very late addition: Symptoms such as high vacuum noise, black smoke under acceleration and excessive turbo lag (well actually my added knowledge that these are related) led me to search for a boost leak. Shop checked all hoses and fittings, tightened a hose clamp on the intercooler (it wasn't...
  14. E

Changed the air filter housing after 130k miles and found that they have not drilled the vacuum...

Changed the air filter housing after 130k miles and found that they have not drilled the vacuum port in the housing all the way through. Car misfired, lost power, threw white smoke. Walked back home, grabbed drill, removed housing, drilled through vacuum port, car now purrs like a cat. Hope I...
  15. E

Crazy project: Hybrid retrofit

The diff reduction ratio turned out to be a bigger problem than I expected. The motors that are effective with the 1.6 ratio are way too big to fit in the middle tunnel. I'm forced to use a reduction gear or to fit another rear diff with a higher reduction ratio. The reducers in the market are...