Recent content by dvancura2

1. D

Identifying Characteristics of my ALH

I've got an 03 Jetta TDI wagon that I'm absolutely in love with. I love mine enough that I got a co-worker convinced to pick up a TDI himself for his commute. Well I've told him what I get for milage, and his isn't able to quite match mine, so now I'm doing some research on what got mine to this...
  2. D

Whining After 5th Gear Swap

10 points to Gryffindor. Got my oil in so I could pull things and get it back together. Sure enough...we were trying to make new teeth out of the washer. I'm surprised because I did a fair amount of research before doing this, and I don't think I ever read anywhere that this washer may need...
  3. thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

4. thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

5. 5th gear hitting

5th gear hitting

6. D

I really should have taken a picture after I had everything in there to reference... What did you do to fix it? I ended up putting on a total of probably 100 miles and the sound is starting to go away, I can faintly hear it in 2nd, and sometimes in 3rd. If it is the washer rubbing, sounds like...
  7. D

I've got a 03 Jetta 5 speed. I recently picked up a .658 5th gear swap and installed it. Got new fluid in, put back together, and took it out for a drive. I get the noise heard in the video. Everything shifts fine, everything feels smooth, ran through all the gears. 4th gear is probably the...
  8. D

Shift Stuck Between Gears

Ball has not been shimmed yet, has been on my list of to-dos. This thing is a mystery to me. As mentioned before, 2k and below on RPM from 4th to 5th, it'll slide right in no problem. I don't like doing that because it lugs the engine more than I would prefer. Sometimes as it goes in not...
  9. D

So just a little more update. I got that bushing kit, and installed most everything, besides the cable end savers. Reason I didn't get those on was because the side to side cable still had the other bushing in it, and it was good enough I couldn't get it out. I tried to use picks and...
  10. D

Yessir. Red Line (50304) MT-90 75W-90 GL-4.
  11. D

So my whole lock pin engagement deal is not the case. After more investigation and understanding of how those work, I think I got something messed up in either the shift linkage, shift forks, or 5th gear synchro. It has gotten bad lately. If I go to shift to 5th, it sometimes feels like it hangs...
  12. D

It seems the rest of the shift linkage is still all fine and dandy, it was just that shift lock pin got engaged randomly. Just seems odd.
  13. D

Well, dug down to the shifting mechanism on top, took off all the cables to jiggle things around. I started playing around with things, and messed with the little lever below all the shifting mechanism. All of a sudden, it comes loose, and everything moves as it should again. Put everything back...
  14. D

Just a little follow up, as that was my side of the road write-up as I was waiting for my tow. I've got about 160k miles on the clock and the stock 5 speed transmission. So I tried shifting from the seat with the engine both on and off. The car rolls fine right now. I tried jiggling the actual...
  15. D

I've got an issue on my 03 wagon tdi 5 speed. I was taking off down the highway away from the stop sign. Everything was going alright. I went to shift from 4th to 5th, something felt like it caught or something, and now my jetta is stuck in a neutral between 4th and 5th. There's not much...