Recent content by DPM

1. D

Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

So I went hybrid almost a year ago now. I've aimed to improve the mpgs with each car purchase, and the last car (Forester Diesel CVT) was better than the manual one before it, and pretty impressive for a sizeable AWD SUV. The Subaru would match the Govt economy figures, and excelled driving...
  2. D

Looks like the VW ID.4 is popular

VW, or VW group?
  3. D

Non starting , A3 2L TDI

what fault codes?
  4. D

Alh Pos wont start.

sounds like timing *isn't* 100% on...
  5. D

Egr or something else

good news, glad it helped
  6. D

Egr or something else

yes, definitely.
  7. D

Egr or something else

there's a throttle flap inside the EGR body too, sounds like it's the faulty bit. When working correctly you'll hear two tiny motors running and a few clicks, just after you turn the engine off, as both valves re-set.
  8. D

Electric vehicles (EVs), their emissions, and future viability

The real reason solar shuts off during a power failure (unless you've an islanded system) is because transformers work both ways and your solar still pushing power into the grid could KILL a lineman working on a repair some distance way...
  9. D

Opel had a ridiculous number of engine families and choices just before the PSA takeover.
  10. D

Yet this side of the Pond AWD options are becoming fewer and fewer and only at the top end of the trim levels... And don't start me on the *stupid big* power levels that many of the full hybrid options are being offered with. eg Peugeot 3008/ Vauxhall Grandland X. Pretty impressive electric...
  11. D

But remember that fleet purchases will also skew the stats. there's no doubt a lot of Golfs are sold, but they'd be a popular choice for Police, Councils, mobile sales reps etc. Anecdotally in the UK and Ireland there's a massive shift to SUVs of around the same size- Tiguan, Qashqui etc.
  12. D

Except in Europe automatics are becoming more popular because efficiency losses are diminishing, emissions are easier to control, and many driver assistance aids require full control of the drivetrain.
  13. D

Sandia Natl Labs develops a simple modification that greatly reduces soot emissions

I'm wondering if you could build it into the injector- instead of minimising the tip of the nozzle, give it lots of mass then "core" a ring out axially and drill a larger outer hole and then the smaller EDM'd injection hole concentrically for each hole..
  14. D

Vauxhall have done quite well over here for electrical fires in ICE vehicles, recently.