Recent content by dieseljunkie

1. Dieseljunkie

Dieseljunkie

96 Passat TDI
  2. D

92 Jetta steamed windshield, found broken belt.

I didn't look at the gauges at all due to steam billowing on the windshield, not being able to see while trying to pull over w/o crashing. Engine was running normally when I pulled over and shut down. No odd noises. Today, I bypassed the heater with a U shaped hose, added about a quart of...
  3. D

92 Jetta steamed windshield, found broken belt.

Last night doing about 60 mph in the middle lane of a 5 lane parkway. The dash suddenly filled with smoke which heavily obscured vision through the windshield. I was barely able to see and navigate through traffic to pull into a Gulf station that luckily was 1/4 mile ahead. I thought it was...
  4. D

The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

Put some diesel in a clear glass jar, add a tablespoon of water to it so you know what it looks like and what to look for when you drain the fuel filter. The water should drop to the bottom immediately .
  5. D

pinhole leak pwr steering line

Car was sold a quite a few years ago and the repair held up fine while I owned it. I didn't even think about galvanic corrosion......don't think it will be an issue. Can't remember the exact tubing I used but it was probably from Home Depot. Just get something the same diameter or close to the...
  6. D

Don't Overtighten the Timing Belt, or This Happens

How did you do yours? I made a puller and install tool out of 1" black iron and cap and threaded rod, original idea by a poster named Tawney http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=771&start=60 However, I was not able to get the oil pan off due to not being able to get the turbo...
  7. D

Front Main Seal - bummer

Hi Herm, glad I read your post. With regards to 1. I should leave my rear main seal alone, which is not leaking at 230K miles? The seal is marked W. Germany, which is really old and made before the Berlin wall came down. They don't make them like they used to?
  8. D

Front Main Seal - bummer

Big Red, bringing back an old thread. How is the Teflon rear main seal doing? Is it leak free? I am doing the clutch and facing the decision whether to replace the rear main seal in my MK 2 Jetta, which is the same part as A3 B4. It is not leaking at the moment. Aren't 028103171B and...
  9. D

The ones I have are supposed to fit. My question was how to get the old bearing out.
  10. D

Anybody know? The 1.6 TD Intermediate shaft bearings are same as A3 and B4.
  11. D

I need to replace the intermediate shaft outer bearing on my MK2 Jetta 1.6 which has play when I shake the idler pulley. I am doing the clutch so the engine mounts are all disconnected= perfect time to tilt the engine so the shaft can clear the body and come out. I have not pulled the I shaft...
  12. D

That's if you were swapping the connector with an unbroken one.
  13. D

Even with 6 pins, I don't think it will come undone. I think VW over engineered the connector locks. Some of them are so tight I have to use pliers to undo them. Have you made a tool to undo those pins? What does it look like?
  14. D

Hey Abacus, are those broken blue clips just the locking clips on the cluster connector? If so, they aren't really needed as there are plenty of friction from the 28 pins to prevent the connector from coming loose. I shipped the remote door lock module yesterday so you should be getting it any...
  15. D

1985 rebuld

"Long story short, the rings have failed as a result of high RPM's, Doug likes to cruise the NJ Turnpike at 85 Mph... I came across a post from Oilhammer on this forum where he said he once hit 90 mph and in the following days he had excessive blow-by and started to blow oil out of the...