Recent content by DFWDieselJet

1. D

Best kept secret..

Tell that to my radiator - what jack a** came up with plastic end-caps on an aluminum radiator should be shot. I know, I know, it was the accountants not the engineers. Tell that to my engine coolant temp sensor. Tell that to my exterior wiring harness. Tell that to my seat heaters. Tell...
  2. D

High Diesel prices, does a hybrid make more sense in the U.S?

A friend of mine finally decided to put-up after listening to me brag about 40+mpg for the last few months. He went out and bought a NEW 4-door Yaris for exactly what I paid for my '04 Jetta TDI with 70K miles. I like the car, and (IMHO) it's very comparable to my Jetta in most respects except...
  3. D

MPG and power improvements best bang for the buck?

So far I've tried these "mods" and gotten these results: - Kerma Aligator tune: No detectable increase in MPG, huge increase in fun. Big $$$s. - Switched from 505.01 to Mobile ESP 5W30 (507): No detectable increase in MPG, no increase in fun :( Small $$$s. - Pumped tires to 44PSI: very small...
  4. D

What The Hell?!?!?!

You (presumably a VW owner) are calling out BMW for having electrical problems? You got cahunas (sp?) but no leg to stand on. I've test driven both the Mini Cooper S and the R32, and if I were looking for a fun-to-drive sport compact, I'd have to go with the Mini. And those resale values mean...
  5. D

How 'bout a ScanGuage Thread?

I had an old OBD-II cable and software from obdii.com. The cable consists of an OBDII "connector", a serial connector (where the voltage matching circuitry is) and a standard RJ45 ethernet cable between them. I pinned-out the serial connector, then found the pinouts for the scangauge cable. I...
  6. D

How 'bout a ScanGuage Thread?

I can shed light on how the SG calculates fuel mileage. A couple of months ago I used the second port on the side of the SG (yes, it's electricaly in parallel with the port on the back) and hooked up an OBD-II converter and "sniffed" the communication between the SG and the ECU. Here's the...
  7. D

Better mileage

I've posted my real-world results after two tanks with an Aligator tune here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=189702
  8. D

Best mod/chip for mpg results ? ? ?

Second tank with Aligator Tank number two: This time no biodiesel (except the very small amount that would be remaining from the previous tank - probably B1 at best). Driving style - Much less WOT this time - perhaps only four short bursts over the 631 mile tank. Pretty lucky this tank and...
  9. D

Volkswagen's 69.9-MPG Diesel Hybrid

Wow. RATED at 69.9? I'm betting most nuts here could push that over 100. If the current crop of hybrids show us anything, it's that hybrids respond very well to "creative" driving techniques. Hope the dollar comes back up by the time it makes it to market...with the crappy conversion rate, VW...
  10. D

You too can get good mpg

LOL! I guess I deserve that.
  11. D

You too can get good mpg

This forum has the most uniformely pessimistic, negative, narrow-minded and openly critical group of members that I've ever seen. There. I said it. Thanks for the post Nick. Wayne Gerdes showed what is possible. If you want to use that information, fine. If not, also fine.
  12. D

Which Chip Tuning for Economy?

Here's my experience after one tank with the aligator tune: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2090673&postcount=14 Working on the second tank now, looks a little better. Emphasis on little.
  13. D

I don't understand: how will dealers sell new diesels?

I've driven both a '04 Prius (for 50 miles - co-workers car), and a Honda Civic hybrid (3500 miles, all highway - parents car). I thought very highly of the the Prius in fit, finish, ride, and acceleration, and would have no issues traveling in the car. The Civic scored slighly less in all...
  14. D

Best mod/chip for mpg results ? ? ?

I've been able to find very little hard data on this forum about exactly how the aftermarket tunes effect fuel econony, so here's my experience. Das Auto: I have an '04 Jetta (PD) with a 5A trans. I have a SGII which I actively use. My usual fuel is ULSD (Shell) + 4oz Power Service + 3 oz...
  15. D

ScangaugeII Accuracy??

That's the misconception...it doesn't "get" fuel used...it "gets" load and RPM (and a couple of other even less relevant parameters) and calculates fuel used.