Recent content by Dennis T

1. D

Black smoke. Not upshifting.

Howdy Folks. Warning: I'm a newbie. Anyways, my '04 jetta tdi 1.9l starts and runs beautifully. Occasionally however, when I'm accelerating, transmission has a hard time upshifting and embarrassing black cloud ensues. If I ease off then slowly accelerate again it usually upshifts and smoke goes...
  2. D

'06 Jetta Engine Stalling

Hmm, that sounds like a complicated, expensive venture. I'm used to just banging rocks together. I will research this thing of which you speak. Thank You.
  3. D

Next conquest will be to try to get steering assist yellow warning icon to go out.
  4. D

I guess my car had "auto erotic issues". LOL Seriously, I've had clogged fuel filters and/or ran out of gas before (usually GM) but nothing ever acted like this jetta. Man, smoking, pinging, lurching. I thought for sure my turbo seal or timing chain were pooched. Scanner comes up P2564(turbo...
  5. D

Thanks very much to tdi forum members for the advice on engine stalling. I replaced fuel filter. So easy and reasonably priced I got greedy and replaced air filter too. Good thing too because as filthy as fuel filter was, air filter was way worse. Totally full of crap and cracked to the point...
  6. D

Yeah, thanks. Maybe it's just me but I haven't noticed and vw stn wagons here in ontario. Now that I seen one I'll probably see them all the time now. Gotta head off to work now but I'll get out my scanner later and see what we got. The harness issue could be a good lead to because it does some...
  7. D

Didn't know what you meant sedan/wagon. LOL. I reckon it's a sedan. For some reason I can't picture a VW station wagon. I'll have to search images to see what a vw jetta station wagon looks like.
  8. D

Jeez, you know what, I don't have a clue. I'll have to go check and get back to you on that. I've driven mostly chev & gm all my life. I picked up this jetta for the fuel savings. I'm a licensed car truck and coach mechanic but this is all new to me.
  9. D

Thank You "O.H." I haven't done a thing to this car since I got it so I reckon I should start there. Just hoping I don't have a blown turbo seal or something.
  10. D

Hi Everyone. I hope someone can point me in right direction. I've had this jetta for abt 6months now. Other than a few minor hiccups it has run beautifully. Recently it would occasionally sputter a bit around 80kmph but then clear up. Sometimes, taking off from a stop, you'd hit the gas but...
  11. D

2006 Jetta TDI DRL

My apologies. I didn't quite understand the answer and was unsure what to reply. I have since corrected that. Thanks for your advice. Dennis
  12. D

2006 Jetta TDI DRL

Handbrake wasn't on. LS light was working fine at the time. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I just didn't understand that apparently the drl shuts off when handbrake is on. Thank you for your time Dennis
  13. D

2006 Jetta TDI DRL

Handbrake wasn't on but thanks for that info. I didn't realize handbrake affected drl. Anyways, LS was working when RS wasn't. Not sure what you mean by "circle the ignition". If you meant "cycle ignition", well I probably would have started and stopped abt 3times before it started working...
  14. D

2006 Jetta TDI DRL

Good Day TDI Clubsters. A bit about me, I'm a 60yr old licensed mechanic/milwright. Drove mostly GM all my life. I've troubleshoot and resolved alot of issues, some highly technical and some downright silly. I recently bought a 2006 jetta tdi, in search of better fuel mileage. 400k and it runs...
  15. D

Bulb replacement DRL delayed operational

I recently replaced drl low beam bulb on front curbside on my 06 tdi. Old bulb was definitely pooched. New bulb was new and tested to verify, yet wouldn't function. Was going to check fuses but ran out of time. Next morning when I started the car they worked perfect. Does anybody know about some...