Recent content by deaner

1. D

TDI swap, transmission question.

On the diff/wheel speed: find straight axle car/truck, jack up one wheel,put in neutral, turn drive-shaft while counting revolutions until wheel turns one revolution,(double the number you get will be axle ratio),jack up the other side and repeat(this number will be your axle ratio), this time...
  2. D

Cylinder Head Major Malfunction

Did it ever over heat in past, crack head, eventually drop seat, bend valve... looks like seat beat up pretty good like it went first. I had this happen last year on deere motor,but just the seat. Lots of noise,shut down quickly. Still needed head,sleeves,pistons,cam,lifters.....
  3. D

1976 IH Traveler

The 300d would be much,much easier to swap in because they came with rear wheel drive trans. Trans/block bolt pattern allows other rwd to bolt right up (no adapter,less $). Use a divorced transfer case and you're set go. IH used a divorced TC on some of their full size pickups, heavy and tough...
  4. D

Transmission for >4 cyl TDIs in rear drive?

bellhousing There is another option that nobody is talking about...building a bellhousing. That way you could use any trans. you desire. Thats what I did after not finding what I wanted. With my homemade bell I can use the original vw flywheel,pressure plate and starter. The correct flywheel...
  5. D

SAE bell housing??

To build the bellhousing for the TDI I took two steel plates,drilled both to bolt up to the engine. On one I cut a circle slightly larger than the flywheel, the other I cut a hole just big enough for the trans. to fit into (5-spd geo tracker with alignment bushings on two bolts) I then threaded...
  6. D

SAE bell housing??

I don't think the starter will work from the engine side with the original TDI flywheel. The SAE #5 ? bellhousing looks big and heavy, is it? I just built a steel bellhousing to mate up rwd/4x4 trans to TDI with original starter/flywheel. That might be easier way to go. Though steel bell isn't...