Recent content by davidlp

1. D

Coolant Type

Hah, that's where I got my first GSW from. Normally dealers are the last place I'd think to check for supplies like that. I'll check them out. I'd used them back when the first GSW had the free oil changes for 100k, but their service department was sloooow., and I'd be there at least 2.5 hrs...
  2. D

Coolant Type

Supposedly these cars require G12 coolant, which I haven't seen locally. Are the coolants that supposedly work "any car, any color" okay to use? I was surprised that my coolant light came on the other day, 48k, and it was a little low. Gambled that it was a loss over time and took the 5.5hr...
  3. D

Unofficial MK7 Oil Change Guide

Yep, have one. It certainly helps cut the mess, but is still a messy filter to deal with. Love my older VWs for oil changes. If it wasn't for that stupid design my changes would be so much faster and neater.
  4. D

2015 Sportwagen Tow Rating

I thought synthetics could take many hundreds of degrees, that oil in the turbo on shutdown can get very, very hot.
  5. D

How does a Mk7 like gas in the tank?

Thanks. Just to be clear, I was meaning like 10-20% gas, obviously not pure or mostly gas. I didn't even think about the rejection device.
  6. D

How does a Mk7 like gas in the tank?

No, I haven't done it to my 2015 yet, and only once in 314k miles on my 2002 ALH, but should it ever happen I was curious to know in advance. Back in the days of the Rabbit diesel in the north it was common to cut the diesel with 10% gas as an option to fight gelling, so when I finally screwed...
  7. D

Commonality of Oil Filter Design

I think there's a market opportunity for someone to make an aftermarket replacement out of metal.
  8. D

My biggest issue was with my first 2015 they had the free old change thing, but even with an appointment I was spending 2-3hrs there (with tire rotation) plus hour round trip. Crazy. Then they'd send those appointment surveys where "if you can't give us a 10 on everything please call us...
  9. D

The logic is the Ford dealer is in the same chain I bought the car from, the VW dealer next door is not, therefore I'd be paying $110-120 per oil change. If I was going to do that I'd continue to do my own oil changes. I understand the guys doing the oil changes are neither mechanics nor...
  10. D

I just picked up a used 2015 GSW from a dealer a couple of hours away, opting for a "VIP Care" deal usable at any of their dealerships for free oil changes (including synthetic), rotations, fluids, etc., since they said I can use it at their Ford dealer close to me and it winds up being a...
  11. D

My GSW Totalled by Flying Dog!

Are pig strikes a thing in PA? :D Never heard of that even in VA. The damage was under comprehensive. Replacement car is CPO, so full two year factory warranty, plus the extensions from the Phase 2 fix it's had. No question on a dollar-to-dollar basis the replacement is a better deal, though...
  12. D

What's wrong with that? Fortunately we don't have a lot of experience wrecking cars, and when my daughter's Beetle got totaled years ago it was a clear-cut case, plus the company (not our current one) paid us $1k more than we saw anyplace for the maximum value! I had the money, it looked to be...
  13. D

I don't have my check. We have not agreed on a valuation. What if they cost me a bunch of money and days of time for nothing? There'd be some avenues to pursue.
  14. D

I think I'm going to do that. When I went to it Saturday to get my personal belongings out, I brought a tarp to lay on and a flashlight and took a look. I can't see all this damage he spoke of. The control arm may be bent, and the left wheel was indeed sitting an inch further back than the...
  15. D

Buyback Car Availability

Thanks for that site, although I didn't see your post until this evening - not sure why the auto-notification hasn't been working. It so happens I bought one of the cars on your list this afternoon, 13.3k miles, CPO, for about $14.2k. I was disappointed it wasn't in better cosmetic condition...