Recent content by da.hs

1. D

Longest commute.

Typically 200km/2 hours Monday morning to get to work office (we tend to measure distance in hours here) then another 5 hours to wherever I'm working for the week, then about 6 hours home Thursday night. "Heavy traffic" in this area usually means an occasional semi hauling logs or gravel...
  2. D

V10: low power and engine vibration

This machine is a bit temperamental, sometimes has startup messages of "Running Gear Fault" or "Exhaust: workshop" which generally disappear the next time it's used. Something different now. On Friday: normal. On Sunday: low power, can just about do 50MPH on highway uphills (far from normal)...
  3. D

EV: off grid solar charger without batteries?

Is an arrangement of this type feasible? Would work daytime only, obviously, but would the variation of available power be a serious problem? Google finds a few articles, nothing definitive. Background: we have a 56 panel grid tied system built on two 40ft wide steel frames. We can widen these...
  4. D

04 Touareg transmission clunky compared to 2010 - normal for year?

Both are 6 speed auto but six years apart may mean completely different units - does anyone know? The 2010 Q7 shifts quickly, silently - hardly know it's there. 04 Touareg has a bit of a clunk when it shifts. Occasionally it jumps about gears a bit though not often. About the same recorded...
  5. D

V10 question: sticking turbo - safe to leave alone?

A 2004 V10 with a nice colour scheme: the seller states all good except "There is an issue with the left turbo variable vanes being sticky at times, thus not producing full power. Backing off the throttle, then re-applying seems to cure this and full power is restored." The problem as...
  6. D

2010 Q7 TDI - MIL code 008267

Can anyone advise what this means? Driving seems normal. Thanks... 008267 - Reductant Pressure Sensor Circuit P204B - 001 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON Freeze Frame: Fault Status: 11100001 Fault Priority: 2...
  7. D

Smoking Jetta

Saw a black Mk4 Jetta (I think) belching clouds of black smoke from a short pipe, about 1ft, sticking up through a hole in the right side of its hood :o
  8. D

Considering a V10 - maybe...

2004, 260,000km (163,000 miles) : seller's comment "The car has turbo leak problem and I will sell it as it is with a new turbo as a part for $11500". This is $CAD not $US. Any opinions? V10 rare in Canada, probably a US import. I assume it's an engine pull to replace the turbo? I could...
  9. D

2013 Q7, related to which Touareg?

A 2013 Q7 is for sale relatively nearby.. I'm not sure I want to commit that heavily to VW just now - but I'm sort of interested. 92000 km. Is it based on T2 or T3? Any thoughts on it? Would not be a high mileage daily drive. Will go look at it in a few days, interested in opinions and advice on...
  10. D

hesitation / surging with cruise control

2005 Jetta wagon MT: just passed 300,000km. Company car not mine but I drive it a lot: a very recent and so far minor problem is a tendency to surge or hesitate on cruise, speed varies by up to 5km/h. Used to be steady to better than 1km/h and no obvious hesitation/surges. Any suggestions? I...
  11. D

Durable cars: for a life on gravel...?

I might be switching jobs soon to one that would bring about 30000km/year, most of it on northern gravel "highways". Don't think my Golf would survive for too long: endless washboard and rocks sticking up and a high risk of getting stuck in winter snow and spring mud. Snow ploughs do work up...
  12. D

Front strut leaking - replace with OEM?

2010 Golf - one front strut leaking. Suggestions for replacements? I'm not looking for a big change in handling. A lot of rough and broken pavement in my area, occasional gravel - certainly do not wish to lower it. Is this a fairly straightforward DIY task or best left to a shop? Tools...