Recent content by Conan

1. Conan

Feeler: '03 GLS Jetta TDI for Parts or Fix

Jetta Pics Sorry I posted and just now checked back in. I posted some pics on my blog here: http://pen-gwin.blogspot.com/ I have a set of steelies with studless 15" snows, and a set of nice 15" alloys with studded tires. I'll probably sell the "BBS copies" pictured separately. The car is at...
  2. Conan

Feeler: '03 GLS Jetta TDI for Parts or Fix

Reflex silver '03 Jetta GLS TDI, ~150K miles, good body and interior. Threw rod. Recent SMF, clutch, and mechanically complete and solid parts car or rare fix'n'flip opportunity or fix'n'keep. Kerma nozzles and tune-- ran great until rod failed. Probably turbo required, too. Have BBS knock-offs...
  3. Conan

Feeler-- '03 Jetta GLS ~140K Denver

It's not officially for sale yet, but I thought I'd put a feeler out there in case somebody is looking. Reflex silver GLS 5-speed, sunroof, Monsoon, heated grey cloth seats. Nozzles, chip and tune (Kerma parts) done by Anuthee in Golden, CO. Currently have nice BBS knock-offs with newish 17"...
  4. Conan

Front Suspension Click?

My '03 Jetta has 140k miles on it, and has been making a loud metallic "clicking" sound (especially in hot weather) for the last few months. On braking to a stop, it sounds like something in the right front suspension is clicking as the front end dives. Same two or three clicks on acceleration--...
  5. Conan

Replacement Door Moulding-- Smooth Available?

When I got my '03 GLS TDI, the PO had somehow bent the front and rear rubber door bump strips (aka "body side moulding") and taped it back down with 500MPH tape. I peeled the wasted LR door strip off, and the front door strip is not too sharp. I ordered a set of aftermarket strips a while back...
  6. Conan

Towing with a Jetta??

I towed a U-Haul box trailer full of oak furniture (2000lb?) from St Louis to Denver with my '03 Jetta TDI. The torque was plenty, and I bragged about how well the Jetta pulled nearly its own weight effortlessly, though the brakes really aren't up to that much weight-- driving in jerky traffic...
  7. Conan

WTB: Pre-ALH TDI/IDI/NA Engine for Tracker Swap

Looking to convert my new-to-me '91 Geo Tracker 2-door Tracker to VW diesel power. Don't want to tackle an ALH-- considering an AHU or 1Z/AAZ and open to ideas. Prefer a running donor car if possible, but not a must. I'm in metro Denver, but would consider a road trip or shipping for the right...
  8. Conan

ID This Engine?

I held off until another project car moved on and missed out on this one (and evidently any AHUs around). Sold the AE86 so the hunt is back on. Posting a WTB in the classifieds-- any leads on a good engine for my swap most welcome. (Closer to Metro Denver the better.) Thanks for all the great...
  9. Conan

ID This Engine?

Cool, thanks Vince. I have a line on what looks like a good deal on a complete AHU for around the same money-- weighing my options as the AAZ should be a way easier swap, but the AHU would be more power out of the box...
  10. Conan

ID This Engine?

Seller evidently ran the VIN and came up with this info: Country: MEXICO Make: Volkswagen Vehicle Type: Passenger Car Body Type: Engine Type: L4, 1.9L; Turbo Restraint System: Active Belts Model: Golf III Check Digit: 4 Model Year: 1993 Assy. Plant: Puebla Production Seq. Number: 004311 Fuel...
  11. Conan

ID This Engine?

I asked him to e-mail the VIN-- He bought it for the same swap I have in mind, never intending to register the car as a driver in the states. Canadian title and BOS. Asking $1200, which sounds like a deal compared to the AAZ prices I've been Googling up... I'll post the VIN when I get it. Looks...
  12. Conan

ID This Engine?

Thanks for the quick info! The seller is saying it is turbocharged, but he also has it listed as a 1989... More clues:
  13. Conan

ID This Engine?

Hi, I'm looking for a pre-ALH engine for a swap project, and recently found this one. It is being represented as a 1989 Golf, but the car looks more like a 1998 to me. Possible Canadian origin. Does this look like an AHU? (The car is 2+ hours drive away, and I'm doing as much homework as I can...
  14. Conan

NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

MY= Model Year
  15. Conan

Washing ALH Engine-- Bad Idea? Metal Dipstick Tube?

In case anyone digs up this old thread, looking for engine cleaning info-- I found the most amazing engine degreaser at Costco. I think it's called "Oil Eater"-- it comes in a big spray bottle with two big refil bottles, for about $30, I think. It's incredible-- I've been using it on old project...