Recent content by Colin Doyle

1. C

'00 Beetle TDIsore

Probably more than the car is worth, unfortunately. It's not really economically viable to produce bumpers this elaborate for other peoples' cars, but I can dump a ton of time and energy into my own stuff and justify it to myself as a learning experience. I don't think I'd be willing to build...
  2. C

'00 Beetle TDIsore

Thanks. I'm not really a fan of the New Beetle, either. Or the old one. Or Volkswagens at all. Hahaha
  3. C

'00 Beetle TDIsore

Hey, been a while since I updated this. The Beetle blew its turbo a few months ago, which prompted me to begin a long-overdue engine rebuild. I just got it running last week and am currently tidying up loose ends and working with a friend to get the tuning aspect sorted out. It's good enough...
  4. C

'00 Beetle TDIsore

Oh, also: I recently took this car on an adventure to Texas. I purchased an M1088A1 at Fort Hood, so I built an A-frame tow bar with a lunette ring and affixed mounts to the Beetle's bumper. A good friend of mine had purchased an M923-series 5-ton truck from a GovPlanet lot at Fort Riley in...
  5. C

'00 Beetle TDIsore

A few updates. I've been doing a lot of maintenance stuff: charged the AC, replaced the leaky o-rings on the oil cooler, replaced ball joints, replaced a caliper and master/booster, etc... Old car junk. I got sick of the constant vibrations from the garbage Bassett steelies, at least one of...
  6. C

'00 Beetle TDIsore

No, it's just a normal column shift. The pushbutton shifter for 1000- and 2000-series Allisons is really just a driver for a motor which turns the shift shaft, and doesn't have the diagnostic capabilities of the pushbutton shifters on the larger Allison transmissions. I just got the F650 on...
  7. C

'00 Beetle TDIsore

Thanks! I don't even consider this a build. This is just a little outfitting of my daily driver.
  8. C

Show what you tow!

Looks like a good candidate for a 1/2-ton pickup.
  9. C

Show what you tow!

I haven't run into any serious traction problems, but the hairiest launch I encountered was something like Class 2 gravel, and getting the loaded 2-place PWC (steel) trailer out of the river did take a bit of wheelspin. Due to the gear ratio, my tall tires make it tricky to pull a heavy load...
  10. C

'00 Beetle TDIsore

The airbag sensors weren't a concern, as this car is a prior salvage and the airbags were inoperable from the day it came into my possession. It has an Audi A4 steering wheel now without a functioning airbag. I mounted the front bumper on the stock impact absorbing shocks. In the rear, I cut...
  11. C

'00 Beetle TDIsore

The car rides on Basset ministock wheels. The deputies were just checking out the car. No CAD files, just my eye, a tape measure, and a bender. I usually quote people $50 per bend and $20 per weld as a baseline for a bumper build.
  12. C

'00 Beetle TDIsore

Hah, thanks! Do it up. I'm going to pick up some steel today to fix my rusted-out rocker panel. Mini rock-slider time. My 1-inch 240 deg tubing die has just arrived.
  13. C

Show what you tow!

Nah, too busy building. There is a build photo compilation on youtube (with some awful background music.)
  14. C

Show what you tow!

'06 cop car 5.9L 6BT from a school bus NV4500 5-speed manual (Dodge Ram application) 4k RPM governor springs #0 ground fuel plate cranked star wheel eBay FMIC No firewall mods, no tunnel mods. Had to chop the center out of the crossmember and drop it down, along with the rack. Shortened pan...
  15. C

Show what you tow!

That blue boat is the village bicycle: http://youtu.be/PqRypGOY_yg