Recent content by codyayrton

1. codyayrton

What did you do to your MK7 today?

Changed the timing belt, accessory belt, and water pump. My GSW has just under 80,000 miles but of course the belt was 9-ish years old. I'm glad that I decided to do it for the peace of mind and also because I discovered that the water pump was leaking around its shaft seal. I noted recently...
  2. codyayrton

12 volt portable cooler off rear lighter plug?

I use one nearly identical. Lower storage capacity at 35 liters but is 45 watts like the one you are looking at. I've had zero issues since buying it September 2022. Great for road trips and bringing home ice cream from the grocery store in July...
  3. codyayrton

I found some lightly used on Facebook Marketplace for $1000 and store them under the VW in the garage. So much better than using ramps, floor jacks, and jack stands. I wonder why I waited so long to get some.
  4. codyayrton

Working on a coolant flush and fill. I had to drain a bunch of coolant for another service. I have VCDS and Schwaben coolant refill/air purge tool. Researching TDI Club for tips. I've noted the "OilHammer method" and the VCDS purge. I was planning to run distilled through it until mostly clear...
  5. codyayrton

Oil leak from passenger side. Problem yet?

I looked at the timing belt today. Dry as can be. Looks normal when compared to other people's timing belts. I was going to change it sooner than later but after seeing it, I'm going to stick to the schedule. Accessory belt looks okay, too. Squeal is maybe a little worse. Sometimes I can hear it...
  6. codyayrton

This morning I discovered a leak from under the fuel tank while investigating a strange smell in my garage. A quick finger dip and sniff determined that it was not DEF or diesel. WTH? The smell did seem organic so maybe should not have been surprised, but did something crawl up there and pee or...
  7. codyayrton

I installed a port plug to power the FrostHeater and battery trickle charger/maintainer. I debated on location but opted for underside of bumper to avoid having to cut a hole in the visible part of the VW's exterior. I removed the screws of the rear part of the black piece on the underside of...
  8. Umbilical 1

Umbilical 1

9. Umbilical 2

Umbilical 2

10. codyayrton

Swapped ScanGauge II for a ScanGauge III. I ran the cable from ODBII above knees, along the underside of the dash/kick panel to the center console. I easily fished the cable into the side of the center console through a small gap between panels. I removed the crap catcher under heater/AC...
  11. ScanGaugeIII

ScanGaugeIII

12. codyayrton

Oil leak from passenger side. Problem yet?

My 2015 GSW now has 72,000 miles on it. As early as 30,000 miles, I noted an oil drip formed on the plug. With each oil change since then, enough oil leaks in the 10,000 miles between oil changes that I always remove the pan protector and wipe it and the oil pan down. This is adequate to keep...
  13. codyayrton

Upgrade head unit to Apple Carplay?

I completed component protection (CP) removal today with help from Simaservis1108 on WhatsApp. When contacting him, be aware that he is in GMT+1 time zone which is nine hours ahead for those of us in Pacific time zone. It took about 2.5 hours including troubleshooting things, testing, and...
  14. codyayrton

Removed component protection from my new to me MIB2 with help from Simaservis1108 on WhatsApp.
  15. codyayrton

Leak from under crankshaft pulley

I'm pretty sure that it isn't. I've replaced the sealing washer and it doesn't seem to make a difference. There's also no chronic drip forming from the lower edge of the plug. The plug stays dry. But I'll maybe get some of those washers you talked of anyway to prevent any future problems.