Recent content by cochrank

1. C

5 speed manual shifter seems to slip while trying to shift

I have a 2005.5 Jetta with ~230,000 on it. It was starting to get a little fussy shifting so I adjust the linkage. Pretty easy. Now I have having other issues and it seems to be coming from the shifter itself not the linkage at the transmission. When shifting sometimes it feels like the...
  2. C

Engine fault workshop and flashing glowplug light

Group, I have tried to search the forums and could not find anything specific to what i am experiencing( or I am not searching properly). Here is the story. I disconnected the battery to replace a airbag sensor on my wifes car. After replacing it I reconnected the battery and I had a whole...
  3. C

EGR part numbers interchangeable

Group, I have a 2005.5 Jetta. The take off hesitates and then kicks in and i found that it was a worn EGR valve. My part number on the valve is 03G131502B. I found a used on but its part number is 03L131501F. They look and bolt on exactly the same. Does anyone know if this will work and is...
  4. C

00290 can't get rid of this code

Group, Trying to find out some issues. I have a 2005.5 Jetta. I bough this used. There were plenty of little issues with it that I have worked through and finally down to this and the steering angle code (which I have been told will not go away until I get rid of ABS code). When I ran the...
  5. C

Radio issue (clicking and no reception)

I have a 2005.5 Jetta with the premium system radio (satellite, etc.). The issue is the reception is horrible (if at all). Does not receive local FM stations (can barley hear) and there is a "clicking" in the drivers side front speaker in the door when you turn the radio on. Clicking goes away...
  6. C

Weird electrical/light issues

Group, I am back again trying to find help. I just recently purchased another TDI Jetta (2005.5) MkV. Going through some things and fixing the issues that the previous owner had and I am running into some lights issue. see VAGCOM for electrical. 5 Faults Found: 00987 - Lamp for Brake...
  7. C

Door alarm, brake alarm issues

Group, I am having some weird electrical problems. I have a 2002 Jetta (320,000). It started off with the brake light randomly going on when driving down the road (beeping for a bit but continues to flash). I have checked the brake fluid and the emergency brake but both are fine. Doesn't...
  8. C

Car will not turn over after alternator failed

Hello group, you have assisted me in the past so I hope this time is no different. On my way to work the other day the battery light came on. I made it to work but when I went to go back home the battery was dead. I was able to jump it to get ti started and was on my way home it died (battery...
  9. C

Car won't start when 1/4 tank of fuel

This only started happening recently. The cars fuel gauge would read above 1/4 tank and when you try to start it acts like the tank is empty. You put a few gallons in the tank and it starts up after some cranking. I first thought it was the fuel filter so I changed that but that did not seem...
  10. C

5 speed MKIII manual transmission for sale

5 speed manual transmission. Came off a 1995 2.0L VW Golf with ~180,000 miles on it. Worked great when it was taken off. Had to get rid of the car due to the floor pan falling apart. I still have the motor and many parts from the car to use on my 1997 VW but can't use the transmission since the...
  11. C

AC troubles

Group, I am having some AC issues and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I have searched these post but there are a bunch so if I could just narrow it down. My AC just sort of stopped working. I was working fine and then just sort of petered out. I went and...
  12. C

Rack and pinion diagram

I am going to take on the task of trying to rebuild my rack and pinion. I bought the kit for ~$30 and was going to see if I could rebuild (I like to think of myself as pretty mechanically inclined so I thought I would give it a shot). I looked online and on youtube to see if there was anything...
  13. C

Side mirrors memory vs non-memory

I have a 2002 jetta and my RH mirror busted (aluminum holder oxidized so bad it broke going down the road) I have been trying to find a used mirror with the same paint code and I have found one but the issue is that it is a memory mirror. I have a power mirror with heat but no memory. This...
  14. C

2002 Jetta 16618 code help

Group, I am at wits end. I have tried all the things suggested by the post on how to fix a 16618 code. Initially my CEL came on and I hooked the VAGCOM up and received the code 16618 (intermittent). When investigating I found that the actuator rusted away. I replaced the actuator and in the...
  15. C

tools for timing belt change

I am looking to change my timing belt soon. I have changed it in the past with the use of the metalnerd tools and they worked great. This was 100,000miles ago and for some reason I seem to remember a link on here for members that had tools they would rent. I rented them and looking to do so...