Recent content by clyde

1. C

Coil Springs

Have a 98 Jetta tdi with ~ 420 k miles, and would like to replace the suspension springs. Where can I find the specs of the original springs? I'd guess that VR6 springs might be too stiff, and springs used in a 2.0 liter gas car would be too soft. Whatt'ya think?
  2. C

Learn auto AC

read https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/a-c-recharge.290507/
  3. C

Learn auto AC

2021 is the hottest summer in my lifetime, which led me to think I should learn to diagnose & service auto AC. Checked the local schools. Four-year apprenticeships only. Nothing wrong with apprenticeships, but there's gotta be a quicker way (already served one apprenticeship, once was enough)...
  4. C

AHU will not start

Applied +12 to shutoff valve; it clicked lika a good valve. Turned ignition on, Glow Plug & CEL lights came on. Looked for chafed black-white, or any other, wlres. There were none. Replaced relay 109—engine started. It was uncertain and weak until it received fuel without bubbles. Drove it...
  5. C

AHU will not start

As it's 92 miles away, I'll advance on it tomorrow with ignition switch and an arsenal of tools and check: 1. the wires to the I-pump, esp. the black-white; 2. when cranked, fuel from barely loosened injection pipe; 3. the fuel-shutoff solenoid; and 4. anything else that seeems reasonable...
  6. C

AHU will not start

Do you mean error codes? Will VAG-COM check error codes on an engine that won't start and is cold?
  7. C

AHU will not start

1998 TDI, replacement factory motor with about 140 k miles. Been running fine for 7+ years, through last evening. First thing this am, turned the key—it started instantly, which is what it does regularly in warm weather. Just as instantly as it started it stopped, and would not start. Decided...
  8. C

Interchangebility of gear selectors, 02J

If you know the two 02J gear selectors can be interchanged, it's almost certain that they will both work in an 02A trans…
  9. C

EGR delete

What part of Washington do you mean, Krash?
  10. C

Interchangebility of gear selectors, 02J

For more positive shifting, I want to use an 02J gear selector in an 02A transmission. I hear that the 02J gear selector will fit the 02A transmission. However, the 02J used at least two gear selectors—one with ball ends for the shifter cables, and a second with clips to retain the shift cable...
  11. C

Parting out 2002 Jetta TDI GL ALH MK4 car in Bayarea

If you still have the engine, how much?
  12. C

Source of ABS?

Where can sheet ABS plastic be found? Modifying an air cleaner box for a conversion and need some ABS… Little can be salvaged from existing boxes. Good ideas appreciated!
  13. C

FS A3 Jetta Hella Ecode headlights fogs, and Euro lightswitch NIB

Thanks for the pictures. I'd guess the electrical adapters are for the headlights themselves. Do you have wires for the foglights? Do you have a picture of the headlight switch? How does the light output of these lights compare with the light from the original headlights?
  14. C

FS A3 Jetta Hella Ecode headlights fogs, and Euro lightswitch NIB

May I see pictures of your merchandise?
  15. C

WTB: Water bypass tube, 1Z/AHU engine, PNW

If you have that pipe and if it's serviceable, how about a picture, please?