Recent content by classen

1. classen

Need VCDS scanner is east bay

I didn't realize that the newer VAG-COM devices and software from Ross-Tech were limited by number of VINs assocted with it. I finally bit the bullet and got myself a new HEX-NET system so I'm good to go. Thanks for the offer though.
  2. classen

IP top and bottom seal how-to (?)

Update: I finally got a VCDS setup from Ross-tech. I measured the IQ and it was ~16 mg/str which seems quite high based on other threads here. I hammered the IQ body away from the timing belt until it was about 8-9 mg/str. I then took it out for a drive and it had much more power. Very nice. I...
  3. classen

Need VCDS scanner is east bay

I just finished replacing the seals on my fuel pump and would like to view and possibly adjust the IQ values. Is there anyone in the Oakland/Berkeley/Richmond area with a VAG-COM that would be willing to let me use it in their driveway for a few minutes? Thanks,
  4. classen

IP top and bottom seal how-to (?)

My 2003 Jetta was leaking pretty badly from the lower seal. I cannot afford the $3000+ to remove and rebuild the pump so wanted to try this repair myself. I just finished replacing the top and bottom IQ seals. I used scribe marks and the whole process went very smoothly. The car started fairly...
  5. classen

Looking for oil extractor in the Oakland Hills/SF Bay area

I have a giant metal skid plate under my car to protect the oil pan from getting dinged by road debris. It would probably take a few hours to remove it. Therefore, I use an extractor. I'm in the East Bay. PM me if interested in borrowing mine.
  6. classen

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

so I drive an old geezer of a TDI (2003 ALH). Just curious how the emissions from the ALH compare to that of the common rail engine involved in deiselgate.
  7. classen

1j5 920 946 c

I'd be fine with either sport or non sport. I'll edit the title of the post... if I can.
  8. classen

1j5 920 946 c

Yes... sort of handy... and I've waited 5 years and forgot about this mod until I was doing some other work on my car and remembered the FIS upgrade. Sounds intriguing. Do you know the part number(s) for the W8 clusters? I'm not averse to a little hacking and soldering. Like I said in the...
  9. classen

1j5 920 946 c

1J5 920 946 C or 1J0 920 946 C looking for one. I have the MFD G version, TMC, multifunction steering wheel. Everything works fine, but I would love to get a FIS cluster while my car still has some miles in it. I think I even have the wiper stalk in the garage somewhere. I just don't know how...
  10. classen

For those who have Upgraded to the OEM VW NAVI

Thread resurrection. I've got some loose wires in the harness that connects my MFD to the car. Two wires which come from the TMC have popped out of the terminal block that goes into the back of the MFD. I can't for the life of me find the original instructions for the wiring. Can anyone point me...
  11. classen

What did you do to your car today?

I replaced the pump head seal on my injection pump which started leaking at about 57,000 miles. Probably should have taken 2 hours, but I had to keep running inside to find duct tape, vaseline, sewing needles, paper clips etc so it took the better part of a day. My wife was starting to wonder...
  12. classen

Timing Belt Replacement

I also have a 2003, but with only 57000 miles. At the rate I put miles on the ole jetta it won't make it to 80,000 miles for another 2 or 2.5 years. I've never taken the timing belt cover off to inspect the belt.... I guess I should do that eh? Would people recommend changing the timing belt...
  13. classen

What did you do to your car today?

I replaced by fuel filter and air filter today. yeah! Afterwards the car wouldn't start no matter how many times I cranked it for 20-30 seconds. I went down to the local auto parts store and bought a hand vacuum pump, primed the new fuel filter, and it started right up. I have 48,000 miles and...
  14. classen

Stereo Removal tool

You can make them from tin cans using a pair of scissors or some tin snips.
  15. classen

2.5 V6 TDI A4 Avant Quattro swap project

Congratulations!! I've been following this thread since the beginning and have enjoyed every minute.