Recent content by chrisgt

1. C

AC Electric Gremlin Hunting

The AC circuit (including the light on the AC button) is actually run off the back of the number 1 resistor. If the number 1 resistor is burned out, the AC light comes on in 1, but the fan won't run. The fan will run in 2-4, but since the resistor is broken, no trigger to the AC circuit. So if...
  2. C

Hydraulic clutch problem

The slave can be fixed with a hone. In fact I gave it a very light hone and it's probably ok. The master, i dunno. The picture is terrible, but the pitting is extremely deep, probably 5-10 thousandths. I think the master is a complete writeoff. I exchange the brake fluid on all my cars every...
  3. C

Hydraulic clutch problem

In my experience, master cylinders fail because they get full of rust and stop working, so I ordered a new one. Parts should be here today, so i took it apart over my lunch break. This wasn't nearly as hard to get out as everyone said, probably only took 10 or 15 minutes. Anyway, glad I didn't...
  4. C

Hydraulic clutch problem

I put a south bend clutch in the car and exchanged the brake fluid in the clutch and all brakes over a year ago. Since then I have not touched the system or had any issues, this started out of the blue. This has gotta be in the master, so the car is sitting while I wait for parts. Good thing i...
  5. C

Pulled my Motor out, what to do??

definitely replace the IP seals. I did the IP head seal in-car. what a massive, horrible pain that was!
  6. C

Hydraulic clutch problem

it did... for a little while. I driving this morning and the pedal just went right to the floor. pulled it back up by hand, pumped it a few times, then it worked again, then after every shift it just sinks more and more. It seems to be getting worse, but no fluid loss from the reservoir. Today...
  7. C

Hydraulic clutch problem

I watched the video, and looked under the dash, and then watched it again. I have no idea how you'd do this with the clutch master. I also can't see what else it could be. The clutch sometimes works, sometimes it'll just sink right to the floor. The slave would be absolutely pissing fluid if it...
  8. C

Hydraulic clutch problem

I exchanged the fluid last year, used a vacuum bleeder at all the brakes and clutch. The fluid still looks very good. I took the slave cylinder apart; pulled out the springy retainer thing to get the seal out and piston out. There was some rust at the end of the bore that I cleaned up with a...
  9. C

Hydraulic clutch problem

Yea, thanks a lot for the vid. I pulled the slave cylinder and it's perfectly dry. The tube going from the reservoir to the master doesn't appear to be leaking, but could it have a tiny hole pulling in air? Is it worth trying to find a replacement for this hose before I condemn the master...
  10. C

Hydraulic clutch problem

The hydraulic clutch is leaking down on my 98 jetta, is there a good way to know if it's the slave or the master? Or is this just a case where I should suck up and replace both, then never face this again. Also if i replace the master... HOW IN THE WORLD do i get to the passenger side nut for...
  11. C

Can I use gti sunroof assembly in A3 Jetta?

Title says it all. The whole sunroof caddy assembly in my 98 jetta is screwed up and broken, I have a 1995 parts gti with a perfectly working sunroof. Can I unbolt the entire sunroof assembly from the gti and put it in my jetta?
  12. C

Rotella t6 alternatives

I buy my oil/oversized filter from idparts. Honestly, their oil change kit with total energy 9000 is cheaper than buying an oil/filter at a parts store by a significant amount. They didn't pay me to say this, but I've spent more money than i want to admit at that place and i've had a really good...
  13. C

1Z identification and diagnosis

Thanks, I haven't moved my electronics lab yet, so I'll bring the ECU back to my other place this weekend and clean it. Yea, I guess it could just be the sensor... In data blocks it comes up as some ridiculous negative temperature. I guess I can also use a voltmeter to measure its resistance...
  14. C

1Z identification and diagnosis

I bought a golf that has apparently been swapped to a 1Z out of a B4 passat (20 years ago). The swap looks completely stock, but sadly the car is really rusty and t-boned... I got it real cheap for parts; my Jetta needs some interior bits, sunroof stuff, a spare 02a is never a bad thing, etc. It...
  15. C

Does anyone still daily drive an AHU

Where did you find the .658 gears? I couldn't find a set, I'd like to put some in my spare 02a.