Recent content by Chris

1. Chris

Electric vehicles (EVs), their emissions, and future viability

I know there aren't many GM fans on here, but I think they deserve credit for sustaining the Chevrolet Volt development program through the great recession and their Chapter 11.
  2. Chris

I fully agree. The saying in my crowd was "there are no old, bold riders"
  3. Chris

My friend's strategy was to go fast enough that nothing would overtake you. Safer when everything's scrolling in the same direction.
  4. Chris

I actively motorcycled for 30 years (mainly BMW's) including rallies and daily commuting. Moving to Michigan (from Baltimore suburbs) took much of the fun out of it but the tipping point came with the current level of texting and general carelessness on the road. Sold the last motorcycle 4 1/2...
  5. Chris

If you're in the habit of stowing your keys somewhere in the house while you're home, that could help. My keys go in my pocket when I dress in the morning and stay there so it's not an option for me. In any event, shielding the fob from the car doesn't eliminate the parasitic draw of the car...
  6. Chris

I believe the Gen II Prius has a button you can push to put it to sleep. The Gen III does not, but supposedly goes dormant after a week of inactivity. I don't know what they did with the new ones.
  7. Chris

The newer cars with "leave your fob in your pocket" access are constantly on standby waiting for you to approach the car and touch the handle/press a button to unlock it. This is more acute with hybrids and electrics which (since they don't have to drive a 12V starter motor) have tiny 12V...
  8. Chris

With MY 2013 and since, the Volt keeps its 12V battery up whenever it's plugged in.
  9. Chris

It's not as if these cars are being discarded at that rate though (by this, I mean they continue in the general on the road fleet, rather than being pushed off of a cliff). Does their entry into the general fleet cause more cars to be discarded? I agree that the person who owns the vehicle over...
  10. Chris

This time of year (with my Volt) I see 5.1 mi/kWh on my daily commute. In the depths of winter, close to 3.1 with the need for resistance heat.
  11. Chris

IIRC, VW was fair traded back in the 60's
  12. Chris

I suspect that self-driving cars will be very vulnerable to bullying. Nobody around here knows 4-way stop etiquette--they just go when they feel like it. Pity the poor self-driving car that will only play by the rules.
  13. Chris

By some estimates the $7500 tax credit for Teslas will be phased out by the end of the 2017 calendar year or soon afterward.
  14. Chris

I find this confusing. Are you saying that the heat exchanger gets sized for cooling and thus is insufficient for the amount of heat needed to heat the house on a cold day? With outdoor coils I can see why the ambient temperature would play a big part, but if you've got a more or less constant...
  15. Chris

I admittedly have a life situation that's ideal for the Volt. My daily commute is 38 miles round trip and I can do that without gasoline 9 months of the year. Thanks to a couple of road trips, my engine has about 4,000 miles on it (out of 48,000 miles total over four years). I have had to...