Recent content by Chris Thomas

1. Chris Thomas

2018 equinox diesel

AWD switch The switch in the center console controls the rear differential control module. The rear differential clutch control modules function is to control the electronic open differential. The rear differential control module receives a torque command signal from the chassis control module...
  2. Chris Thomas

Is it bad to let your TDI sit long term?

My 2012 Jetta has been sitting for over a month now and yesterday it fired right up so I could move it to a different spot in the woods. Haven't drove it since I picked up a 2016 Colorado diesel
  3. Chris Thomas

If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

Replacements I work at a GM dealership and have drove a couple of the Malibu hybrids and was impressed with the build quality, but, only drove them for the PDI(pre delivery inspection) so three or four miles. Replacement for my 2012 Jetta TDI is a used 2016 Colorado TDI(it is that type of...
  4. Chris Thomas

Engine Knocking - additive I can use?

noise Old school method is to crack the injector lines to see if the noise changes. Do one line at a time and allow 1 minute between line for the air to purge out of the injector. If it is a rod knock the cylinder that is no longer firing the noise will be reduce because no explosion within the...
  5. Chris Thomas

Wait, so the forum dedicated solely to TDI's won't allow people to post about the TDI

I think VW is busy researching anonymous drones that can seek out TDI's then with the onboard few pounds of c4, doing a kamikaze on unoccupied cars. Think about it every car they find and destroys saves them thousands of dollars. Maybe amazon is helping them develop the drones and that amazon is...
  6. Chris Thomas

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

First off my heart goes out to the shooting victims. The only way the recall will be done on my 2012 Jetta is 1. I sit in the shop while the "fix" is being done. 2. A one month trial on said "fix" on the Jetta. 3. At least $5000 and a transferable 3 year/50000 mile warranty (bumber to...
  7. Chris Thomas

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

But, no heated seats in that k5 and I am scared to guess at the MPG. As for me I am thinking a newer GM truck and find a 03-06 VW TDI(hopefully not running so it is cheaper). Like the Canyon diesel, if I go that route I'll just have the one vehicle. As I drive 111 miles to work 4 days a week...
  8. Chris Thomas

Remember reading a book about the history of the old air cooled beetle that said the dome light was above the door instead of in the center so VW could save 1 meter of wire per car.
  9. Chris Thomas

I just used my square card reader to swipe the VW visa and deposited into my checking account. As for replacement vehicles, did drive the new Malibu and it is sweet, just waiting for the hybrid version to come out(I think it is rated 47 mpg combined). Or the Colorado diesel with 4wd of course.
  10. Chris Thomas

Help!! What is this part??

part Looks like the alternator pulley plug.
  11. Chris Thomas

VW Jetta Wagon 2004 manual Central WI

Jetta Anybody know if the wheel bolt pattern is the same from a 2012 Jetta to a 2004 Jetta?
  12. Chris Thomas

Hpfp Yes I know they do, but have not seen a GM HPFP fail and do several thousand dollars in damage to the rest of the system.
  13. Chris Thomas

Def I would not want any refit done to my car. As for me VW's terrible response is the last straw to this whole nightmare. Did drive the new Malibu and will drive the hybrid version when it comes out. Checked out the website and it will get 45 mpg, on RUG, should start in cold weather, no...
  14. Chris Thomas

2.2 GM Ecotec oil consumption.

Oil burning Have you changed the PCV lately? If the spring is getting weak, it can put the engine in to a vacuum and vaporize the oil.
  15. Chris Thomas

So...What to do with $500 dealership credit?

Tires for the garden tractor. (It uses aggressive truck tires)