Recent content by chirishboy

1. chirishboy

Alternator Slip Ring Wear

Typically 11.5 - 12.15 v at the battery terminals at startup but would typically return to +14v after the engine warmed up. After replacing the regulator it improved to 14v consistently even when cold but the last few days has been consistently <12.5v even when warm.
  2. chirishboy

Alternator Slip Ring Wear

Question - Are these slip rings shot? Trying to source the cause of my low voltage. Regulator was replaced to no avail and clutch pulley seems to be ok. Edit: image of slip rings below. Clearly I haven't been active on here enough... I can't get my images to show...
  3. chirishboy

Alternator? Pulley? or something else?

Battery has not been tested but I assumed it was an alternator issue due to the fluctuating voltage. I'll take the car over to an alternator shop this weekend. I don't recall any unusual grooves on anything but then again I wasn't looking for it. A rebuild looks like a PITA so I'll keep my...
  4. chirishboy

Changed the regulator last week but still seeing the same issues. Issues: - ~12 volts at idle and +14 volts at 2,500 rpm. - The battery light will stay on after cold start and will eventually blink and turn off after a couple miles of driving. - After the engine is warm, the alternator is...
  5. chirishboy

Cleaned and tightened connections. The fuse box above the battery looks brand new and I don't see anything suspicious. Would taking the car over to an auto parts store for an alternator check help?
  6. chirishboy

For a few weeks, the battery light has been on/off intermittently. The car has starting without an issues every day. Twice now, the car has "flashed" dead while driving; the brief power loss is SO quick I wasn't sure if I imagined it until the second time it happened. The power loss occurred...
  7. chirishboy

Remote start retrofit to SE?

Congrats! Bump cuz I'm interested to see the fix myself
  8. chirishboy

CJ-4 oil data and discussion repository

Normally use the Mobil 1 TDT, but found the Rotella T6 on sale. I bought 2 gallons of the stuff and that will leave me with left overs. Is it a bad idea to top off or combine TDT with T6 on my next change??
  9. chirishboy

206K? Guess I can justify replacing the suspension now!!

It didn't take long for the bill's pain to wear off. Feels good to drive a car that doesn't feel like the wheels are going to fall out from underneath it. The car handles great, drives quieter, and the brakes are responsive and smooth. Since this work wasn't TDI specific, I could have had the...
  10. chirishboy

In the shop. Robby (Runsonbeer) is doing great things to her as we speak! Went all out and did all the recommended swaps ya'll mentioned. I'll let you know how it runs when I pick it up later today/tomorrow!
  11. chirishboy

What did you do to your car today?

Really a noticeable difference? Getting my FULL suspension refresh with Bilstein TCs and TT upgrade parts. Brake job - rotors and pads. Oil change. New Tstat. Been driving Robby's (runsonbeer) golf around since my quick job has turned into more of a handful. This dude is GREAT! Nothin but...
  12. chirishboy

My buddy's TDI - a FLEX Fuel...

He says it starts fine without any issue. I did not notice any leaking when we were trouble shooting the issue, but it is possible. The AC is working and working well. The air is cold and it doesnt drag the cars power when in use. I can only notice the hum when he comes to a stop... If he...
  13. chirishboy

Looks like it is going to run me $1120 to get it ALL installed and refreshed. Was hoping to stay @ or under $1k, but atleast it will be done, and done right! Thanks for the input fellas! I'll let ya know how it drives when all said and done!
  14. chirishboy

My buddy's TDI - a FLEX Fuel...

So I met up with him the other day and all seems to be working A-okay. Except 1 thing. As I mentioned before, there was an odd noise when the car was idling and the AC was on. I told him it was prob cuz the motor was straining because it has such a high gas blend and it should clear up when...
  15. chirishboy

I'm glad I didn't dive into this project yet, cuz all these pointers will certainly pay off! I'm fairly certain I am going to use a helping hand doing this for a couple reasons. I NEED it done right the first time and I need it done in a day or weekend. Too much driving to gamble with a flub I'm...