Recent content by Chad.

1. C

5 Speed Manual Transmission Failure

At the title says I had a transmission failure at 270,000 km, car is a 2006 Jetta Tdi. Gradual onset of some supicious noises for a couple days then as I making a slow turn there was a loud "crack". Stopped and looked under the car to see gear oil pouring out. Managed to make it home 30 km away...
  2. C

06 Jetta TDI died on freeway, won't start back up.

Here's a couple options. Have your guy take the head off send it to Franko6 to get inspected/fixed, he'll send it back then have your mechanic install it. From what I read though I'd be a little suspicious of this guy you have working for you. Recommending new rocker arms because the little plug...
  3. C

2005.5 Jetta TDI losing massive amounts of oil, looking for ideas

At this point 320,000 miles sounds like the engine is simply worn out, that's pretty good I would be happy if my car gets that kind of mileage. If it were me and I wanted to really keep the car I would pull the engine take it to a machine shop get the bores punched out new rings/oversized...
  4. C

2005.5 Jetta TDI losing massive amounts of oil, looking for ideas

If you've gone this far wouldn't hurt to put some new valve guides and seals in especially with a car that has 320,000 miles on it but I'd find out what the wear spec is first . Won't do you much good if your cylinder walls are egged out though if that's the source of your oil consumption. Just...
  5. C

Botched Timing Belt Job?

Nailed it, car is running great now. I removed a head and the car was down for a week because of a loose boost pipe, derp. What did I learn from all this? -Don't tear your car's engine apart unless your damn sure you diagnosed the problem -VW engineers are cruel yet impressive at the same...
  6. C

Espar coolant heater

Hydronic D5 – 17,000 BTU/hr 5.0 kw is the one you want. I ran an Espar my for 7 years till my car was writing off. I pulled the espar but haven't got around to installing it in my new (old) 2006 Jetta TDI. I will say they this they are the cats ass when they work do need servicing quite...
  7. C

Botched Timing Belt Job?

More pics
  8. C

Early 06 no start.. need tdi gods!

Well I wish you and your mityvac good luck, there is a lot going on with the fuel circuit on these PD engines. https://www.slideshare.net/shark79/19-vw-tdi-with-pumpe-duse
  9. C

Botched Timing Belt Job?

Well in hindsight maybe it wasn't such a bad call to pull the head after all. While tilting the head over this mystery round mangled piece of flat metal fell out that I cannot explain. Any of you guys ever seen anything like this or know where it came from? My guess is a left over chunk of...
  10. C

Early 06 no start.. need tdi gods!

Air in the fuel lines would be my guess. Been awhile since I replaced a camshaft and tandem pump but I do recall needing a VCDS to prime the fuel system and purge the air.
  11. C

Botched Timing Belt Job?

OMG I feel like such a knob. Yes I did notice the air hose that goes to the egr valve was popped off. The black pipe on the goes right to the left of the timing cover. This is quite embarrassing if I tore up my engine apart for a loose air hose. In any case any suggestions on what I should...
  12. C

Botched Timing Belt Job?

Hello all allow me to regale you with my tale of Jetta woes if you do not mind. I'll get right into it I my 2006 Jetta TDI with roughly 160,000 miles is barely running after I replaced the timing belt. Stumped with this one any advice will be much appreciated. I'll just say I've done this job...
  13. C

MK5 BRM Engine Harness Replacement

Sorry for the much delayed response I usually only come around when my Jetta gives me problems. If I remember correctly I ran a couple really bad wires along the wiring harness to the ecm as a temporary fix. I bought a BRM parts engine and robbed the wiring harness but never got a chance to...
  14. C

MK5 BRM Engine Harness Replacement

Thanks oilhammer that's the info I was looking for. Well I have the time so I am going to remove the harness and try and repair it. I'll go through the entire wire harness splicing some new wires with heat shrink butt connectors where its needed then wrap it in friction tape. I just refuse to...