Recent content by CGDoig

1. CGDoig

BEW Timing belt tension issues

Whelp, you guys really are the best. I haven't been in tdi club in ages and came with a question and lo and behold the answer came. The sprocket mounting point was marred up so the sprocket wouldn't move at all. A little hand sanding later and the car is back in the ground and breaking in the...
  2. CGDoig

This is what I thought! I was losing my mind yesterday saying that to my wife. The tensioner is pulling it more counterclockwise, it made no sense to me. I will attack it again this morning thank you.
  3. CGDoig

How easy should the cam sprocket move?
  4. CGDoig

No, tighten test, adjust if needed (tighten), test again. But it seems to fail every time.
  5. CGDoig

If that's the case out of all of this I'm going to assume the brand new tensioner is the culprit then. It seems to slacken up a little bit without indicating every time I test rotate. At least enough that I cannot get the index pin back into the cam sprocket after every retest. Ugh cars been on...
  6. CGDoig

So this is definitely part of the problem. If the sprocket is on all the way and the bolts loose its impossible to move it by hand and difficult with a tool even. The only way to get it to move is by removing the bolts quite a bit and using a puller to get the sprocket to a point where it will...
  7. CGDoig

I feel like everything is right as well but it just won't line up after the test turn. So here's what I'm doing. With all index pins in place. 1: loosen 3 cam sprocket bolts 2: loosen tensioner nut 3: make sure belt is in place on all sides properly 4: turn tensioner until arrow in window. 5...
  8. CGDoig

Hey guys, I'm about to throw in the towel here. I cannot get the cam sprocket to line up correctly no matter what I do. If I loosen it enough to turn counter clockwise by hand, then put the belt on, it doesn't matter if I leave a tooth of slack on either side, tensioner or water pump, the bolts...
  9. CGDoig

BEW - Timing Belt & Cam Question

Alright guys, one more question. Belt is on locks removed, turned over by hand a couple times and everything looks perfect. But the tensioner arrow moves back as soon as turned over. If I put locks in again at TDC it stays out of spec until I give the cam bolt a little wiggle to get the pin in...
  10. CGDoig

In case anyone is interested, I know sometimes people like to see the failures
  11. Cam&bearings.jpg

Cam&bearings.jpg

12. CGDoig

Have it to the point of rotation but the DIY write up I'm following that was posted on TDIClub says to rotate the crank 90 counter clockwise first. Would this create issues going forward? I have done that but not tightened the cam caps down yet, just in there loose at the moment.
  13. CGDoig

BRM Intake Manifold on BEW

Thanks for the answers, I'll keep my eye out for another BRM at a wrecker if I can find one.
  14. CGDoig

BRM Intake Manifold on BEW

Hey guys, I hope someone can answer this for me. I have a BRM manifold to put on my BEW while its apart for a cam job. I have an aftermarket FMIC so the piping is already clamp based to the OG intake port where the ASV is. The BRM manifold I picked up from a wrecker is EGR and ASV less. Bare...
  15. CGDoig

Oddly enough it was a very sudden drop of performance, I inspected the cam about a year ago and the lobes were pretty sharp then, but no real bad lifter wear. About a month ago it started getting very grumbly while driving and I kind of knew. I ordered the timing belt and cam kit last week and...