Recent content by casioqv

1. C

Vegetable Oil as an Emergency Fuel?

What they are saying in a "diplomatic" way is that to modify the engine for SVO/WVO you would need to delete the DPF. Again, I'm not suggesting anyone get that kit or delete a DPF, just linking it for illustrative purposes. I wouldn't assume that, B100 and SVO are totally different things. I'm...
  2. C

Did you only read that far into my post? I addressed that immediately after the part you quoted. Although not ideal, there is absolutely no reason to think a CR would fail suddenly from clean vegetable oil heavily diluted in diesel fuel during a short drive in emergency conditions. Although...
  3. C

Tell me about Toureg TDI's 2013+

All of the above. They're also a uniquely capable vehicle for serious off-roading and heavy towing that somehow still manages to be as comfortable as a high end luxury car, and have handling that compares with many sports cars on a windy road hence building the Cayenne on the same platform. They...
  4. C

It would work just fine. I've done this in an old 1980s Volvo 760 diesel (VW engine)- I happened to be coming home from grocery shopping, ran out of fuel, and was able to make it to a diesel pump by adding the half gallon of vegetable oil I happened to have purchased with my groceries...
  5. C

Parts / engine shortages for Dieselgate repairs

Not a terrible idea, but I simply don't have time to get a used vehicle in the shape I'd want for solo desert traveling- need to move the roof tent over, change all fluids, probably buy new tires, etc. Luckily my GFs parents have an F150 overlander with a pop-top bed camper they are going to...
  6. C

Front/Rear Brake Wear Sensors/Indicators

You generally don't have to replace the brake wear sensors on both sides if you replace quickly when the light comes on, because one will likely wear down a bit before the other. You only need to replace them if they are worn through, so that the internal wire makes electrical contact with the...
  7. C

They send a video to VW corporate of the engine making a loud ticking sound at idle, and VW responded with buyback offer of $6k, which I refused. This is a built overlanding vehicle in very good shape, that I've put a lot of expensive components onto.
  8. C

Bodies don't 'rot out' here in Northern California... I would like to keep this vehicle for a long time if I can!
  9. C

This is what the dealer tells me they ordered: short block, both cylinder heads with all gaskets , bolts, nuts, washers, injection pump, turbo-charger , oil lines , thermostat, water pump , timing chain, all tensioners I cannot figure out the logic of this set of parts, and they are very...
  10. C

The dealer said they are waiting on just the short block for my new engine, so it seems they did order the heads separately and were able to get them quickly.
  11. C

The Atlas is absolute garbage. I don't think I have any interest in owning a newer VW after driving it. Here is an in depth review/complaint of the loaner Atlas(es) I've had: Offroad review of the VW Atlas (vs Touareg) I've taken the 4Motion Atlas on a week long offroad trip in place of the...
  12. C

I agree kinda, but the Atlas is pretty useless to me. My Touareg is a modified overlanding vehicle, and the Atlas is useless offroad.
  13. C

My '09 Touareg V6 TDI has now been sitting at the dealer for nearly 3 months waiting on a replacement CATA engine block under the dieselgate warranty. I've talked to a couple other people with Touaregs also sitting at dealerships waiting for new engines for close to a year now, so I'm not...
  14. C

How big a money pit is a 300d?

The D24T was 110 horsepower, and only weighed about 2900lbs (depending on options - the 740s are lighter than the 760 models, and weirdly they did make 740 6 cylinders despite the '4' meaning 4 cylinder). The MKIV ALH Jetta weighs more like 3100lbs, and only has 90 horsepower. But your MKIII...
  15. C

How big a money pit is a 300d?

Volvo marketed the D24T as "maintenance free" or "lower maintenance" vs the red blocks, when really the opposite was true, which didn't help anything. As a D24 fan I have one of the dealer posters for the 240 diesel on the wall in my living room that says "less engine maintenance" as a key...