Recent content by Captain Diesel

1. Captain Diesel

New style "gauge" package install on a 2000 MkIV Jetta.

I will be doing the same on your recommendation. My Jetta was a Maine car. Now I live in the Florida panhandle, I miss the four seasons but I like the warm.
  2. Captain Diesel

I have an Alpine in my truck that has the 7" screen which allows for input. I am redoing my 2000 Jetta that sat for 8 years. It started right up but I am doing, exhaust (ROTTED OUT), clutch, oil pan, E brake cables, window tint, and some minor body work. Basically all the safety stuff before...
  3. Captain Diesel

I have seen a lot of gauge packages on the newer Jettas that show MPG. Being that the gauges "probably" run off OBDII information, is it pssible to get a gauge pckage so I have that information or would it be easier to just run it through a screen on my radio?
  4. Captain Diesel

Exhaust help Jetta 99.5

" Broken flex won't throw a boost code. Of course the leak and boost code could be unrelated, however. " I can attest to this. When my flex coupling failed and that whole section of my exhaust came off, violently and noisily, there were no codes thrown. The flex pipe on the other hand was...
  5. Captain Diesel

Upgraded TDIClub forums

Repeat to myself, "Change is good, change is good, change is good..." Well done SIr!
  6. Captain Diesel

Moaning sound

My wife when I get online to buy parts.... :):D:rolleyes:
  7. Captain Diesel

? ? View/Reset Codes – Which OBD Tool? OBDeleven/Carista?

So as a "newb", I am getting the OBDEleven. Can anyone confirm it reads the ABS codes and such and allows to me reset stuff? I am just getting into rebuilding my 2000 Jetta and working on others. I intend to pick up the Ross-Tech/VCDS if my first project goes well.
  8. Captain Diesel

99.5 or 2000 Jetta?

I have a Jetta IV. I have had it garaged for the last 6 years but I am FINALLY going to give her some TLC, a cooking oil mod and a few other things. I finally have the time and money. Paint will the final stage. In the meantime, I have never been sure I have a 99.5 or a 2000. Here is the...
  9. Captain Diesel

Making a Project out of my Jetta

I have a 2000 Mk IV. It has been sitting for 6 years. I am starting with exhaust and then going to fuel system. The body and interior will be last. I am really looking forward to this. The only thing that scares me is the fuel system.
  10. Captain Diesel

What did you do to your MKIV today?

I started getting a plan together for restoration...
  11. Captain Diesel

2000 Jetta restoration

It is starting. What is the difference between an ALH & a BEV or whatever the other one is? Brakes were redone at 170,000 miles and the emergency brake functions correctly. Tires were done at170,000 with the brakes. I am getting a Bentley manual so I can find the illusive N75 connector and...
  12. Captain Diesel

2000 Jetta restoration

I have a 2000 Jetta (ALH I think) TDI 1.9L. It has sat for 4 years and has a rusted out exhaust. It runs and has 180,000 miles on it. I am not sure what the mpg is now but when I parked it, I was getting 50 mpg. My diabolical plan is to replace the exhaust system first, then change the...
  13. Captain Diesel

TDI Guys & Gals near Panama City Beach

Greetings! I live in PCB and I am looking to liaise and network with other like-minded car types interested in diesels and VW's in the panhandle. If there is already a group, please lemme know. If not maybe we can get one started. There seem to be plenty of car shows on the Emerald Coast and...
  14. Captain Diesel

New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Greetings and Salutations Hi! My name is Tim. I bought a new Jetta IV in the fall of 1999. I used it to commute between Northern Coastal Maine and NYC for 3 years and Southern and Central Coastal Maine for 5 years. It has been off the road for about 4 years. I live in the FL panhandle now...