Recent content by CaddyJim

1. C

1.9TD AAZ fuel pump issues

The governor weights appear to be in the right place. I’m unsure of how they’re supposed to operate when moved so I’ve linked a video below of me moving the sliding sleeve by hand for reference. A couple of the weights don’t always move outwards but I take it they will once the pump is sealed...
  2. C

So I’ve now taken the lid off of the pump. Throttle shaft was oriented correctly, governor mechanism was still attached to the fulcrum lever and the fulcrum lever was still moving the collar on the plunger. Everything seems in order but no throttle still? Going to re-watch a few videos on the...
  3. C

CasaEd, you could be right, I’ll have to take the lid off tomorrow and check that. Todd, I remember making sure the throttle shaft was oriented in the anti-clockwise direction (the way it rotates when the throttle cable is pulled) when I put the lid back on but I’ll double check tomorrow!
  4. C

Quick update on this: I fitted my new glow plug relay and they are now fully functioning with the light on the dash also working to my surprise. Wound the max fuel screw way out and cracked the fuel lines at the injectors. Turned the engine over, wound it in a bit, turned the engine over etc etc...
  5. C

Abacus, are you referring to the stub on the fulcrum lever (if that’s what they’re called in a tdi) that is moved by the throttle shaft? If so, yes that is located in the sliding collar. I had the lid off the pump the other day and pulled the fulcrum lever back and forth to check it was moving it.
  6. C

Todd, knocking from the engine. I didn’t have it started for more than a couple seconds to have a full listen but we all agreed that it was a much louder chapping than normal. BYM, the fuel screw is in the same position as a tutorial I watched, could backing it off slightly stop it from red...
  7. C

I torqued the head plug a bit more just to be sure and it seems to be working fine now, thanks for the advice! Had a closer look at the glow plug circuit and it seems that whatever clown had the car before me has fitted the wrong relay for the glow plugs. I’ve ordered the right one now, but...
  8. C

Update on the pump: managed to shave off half of the points on a 12 point socket I have in order to fit the head plug. Torqued it (not very much) to 120nm as advised by InjectionPumps and the pump started firing fuel! I can’t believe adjusting a bolt that little had such a massive impact on the...
  9. C

Update: I emailed Injectionpumps.co.uk, the folk I have just ordered the plug from, and they said they have just one torque spec of 88ft/lbs/120Nm for that plug.
  10. C

BYM, thanks will find out the torque spec and grab a tool for it. Todd, it fired up once after I bled it but then to my surprise never started again after that. That’s when I started on the fuel pump. I may have made the problem worse but it wasn’t starting either way I guess!
  11. C

BYM, it is highly likely that the plug you are referring to isn’t tight enough as I definitely didn’t tighten it to 100 ft/lbs! I used an adjustable spanner to tighten it as I couldn’t find another way of doing it. thanks for the info, I’ll order a new plug just now and find a better method of...
  12. C

The guy I bought the car off said it had air in the fuel system but I bled the air out pretty quickly and the car still wouldn’t start. I then guessed it was more likely a fuel pump issue. Any idea what would stop the vanes moving? I disassembled and reassembled the pump twice and didn’t see any...
  13. C

Todd, by plugged do you mean blocked? I thought the same but I checked them the other day and they’re all clean!
  14. C

Update: Had someone turn the car over whilst i pulled the governor lever with the lid off of the pump. No sign of any fuel coming out of the DV's what so ever! Any thoughts? As a last resort I found a website for a shop 'Nerings' in Latvia who seem to sell refurbished versions of these pumps in...
  15. C

The delivery valves seem to be fine and freely moving in the housing by the looks of it. Plunger from stop solenoid is still off the pump so shouldn’t be affecting it? I did remove the plunger sleeve inside the pump but I put it back on the right way round as per the guide. Right, that’s a good...