Recent content by Caddy 16v

1. Caddy 16v

What did you do to your MKIV today?

Well, mystery solved, was on my way to check timing and took the valve cover off, heard a metal clunking sound and found #1 pistons 2nd lifter had left the building. I added pictures in media under my profile. Not sure if I can replace just the lifter or if this is a result of skipped timing...
  2. PXL_20220903_002310944.jpg

PXL_20220903_002310944.jpg

3. PXL_20220903_002318649.jpg

PXL_20220903_002318649.jpg

4. PXL_20220903_002334650.jpg

PXL_20220903_002334650.jpg

5. PXL_20220903_002257881.jpg

PXL_20220903_002257881.jpg

6. Caddy 16v

Thanks for that info. The ASV was missing and it's completely straight piped and some other odd things so a tune or bigger nozzles are definitely a possibility. Always wanted to try the hammer mod lol let's see if I can beat it into submission. 😁
  7. Caddy 16v

I'm down to compression and timing now. Think I checked everything else off the list. It smokes like it wants to fire while cranking, so fingers crossed it's timing, hope I can finally check that tomorrow and organize a compression tester. I can't find a definite answer on a compression issue...
  8. Caddy 16v

It does start with a squirt of wd40 but dies afterwards. Haven't tried that after I primed the pump again though. I tried to minimize the spraying of liquids into the intake.😉 Is the injection quantity of 50mg/str while cranking also where it should be?
  9. Caddy 16v

Primed the pump once more with the bigger return line, now fuel shoots up about a foot. Didn't have enough time for the timing so I checked if the crankshaft position sensor might be bad with vcds group 001. I get an rpm reading while cranking (300-400rpm ish) and the injection quantity goes up...
  10. Caddy 16v

Did some more diagnosis on the no start issue, fuel can be sucked freely from the tank but I seems like when I use the fuel return line from the pump to the #4 injector to prime the pump, barely anything is getting pulled through. The normal air bubble in the feed line isn't even moving. And I...
  11. Caddy 16v

Went and cleaned all the grounds and swapped some relays around, got it to crank with the key but the cluster still only had the battery light illuminated. So I checked the connections and sure enough one was lose. Got all the lights but still only cranks but doesn't fire. Cracked all...
  12. Caddy 16v

Actually maybe it's because I'm trying to jump a dead battery and not hooking it up directly to a good one!?
  13. Caddy 16v

Got all the relays from the wrecker, everything works but there is no dash lights in the "on" position except the battery light. Also no crank. So I changed the ignition switch but same result. I know the dash lights came on once before but it seems very random. More research needed...
  14. Caddy 16v

Thanks I'll try with the 109 first, checking the wrecker in the morning.
  15. Caddy 16v

Bought another Jetta to fix up again, 2003 which was advertised as blown turbo for $500. Checked it yesterday and it spins freely with no play at all. But another hurdle presented itself, previous owner "stole" all the relays off the panel underneath the steering wheel. Not having much luck yet...