Recent content by CableJockey

1. CableJockey

Horn Issues / Wiring Diagrams?

Alright. Got it figured. As stated, the horn only works with ignition on... I was chasing the wrong circuit (there is a third "alarm horn" in the cowl evidently) and wires decided to let go... Did some soldering and things are back to normal! Thanks for the help!
  2. CableJockey

Horn Issues / Wiring Diagrams?

First off, I am struggling to follow the Bentley wiring diagrams... Jumping between pages has me lost. Anyway, my horn is strangely only functional while the ignition is on. This results in no 'beep' when I lock the car and the alarm is activated... I've been trying to find the common point...
  3. CableJockey

Redtek 12a refrigerant good for my ac in 2003?

You can't really check refrigerant level based on pressure. Refrigerant fill is based on weight.... Have you determined why your system was low/empty to begin with? It's entirely possible that you still have a leak somewhere.
  4. CableJockey

HO Alternator

You can check out US Alternators. They built me a 330amp large case hairpin to my spec with clutched pulley (many HO alt companies use solid underdrive pulleys) and optimized regulator voltage that changes based on temperature. (ie +15v in sub-freezing and 14.4v in high summer temps.) This was...
  5. CableJockey

2000 bug 5 speed weird shutter at idle need advice

The evry mod is probably the cause of most issues with the mentioned NB. It is a crude "hack-and-slash" method to force more fuel to be injected, with little control or regulation, and no additional air/boost. If you are to acquire said vehicle, my suggestion is to immediately remove anything...
  6. CableJockey

What did you do to your MKIV today?

What did I do today? Finally found time to replace a sketchy a/c clutch. The pulley bearing was bad, causing squeaking at idle, loud groaning at engine shut down, and due to the amount of slop in the bearing, the pulley was shooting sparks at idle as it randomly contacted the clutch plate...
  7. CableJockey

How can i increase the sound of the Turbo?

I gained a bunch of turbo whistle when I swapped all intake piping with custom aluminum alloy and minimal hose connections (of the shortest length possible), full aluminum IC, and a new, bigger turbo. Made me think I had some form of crazy boost leak... Fun, unintentional bonus.
  8. CableJockey

Steering wheel repair?

A used one is not out of the question, just haven't come across any that aren't in similarly rough condition. I've seen some decent 3-spokes, but they lacked the airbag, and I did t want to deal with sourcing one... I'm curious... Most of the eBay-type wraps leave a lot to be desired. However...
  9. CableJockey

Steering wheel repair?

So, as with most MK4s, my steering wheel has seen better days. Anybody have any success with refurb'ing them? I have seen the "vinyl and leather" repair kits at Autozone, etc, but I am unsure if they will actually help, or make matters worse. Regardless, has anyone succeeded in repairing...
  10. CableJockey

Installing Used IP Questions

You might be... I replaced my IP with a used 11mm that hadn't been installed on a car for more than a year. Vacuum pump to prime everything, and it fired right up. Checked/Adjusted timing, then promptly fed it 2 cans of diesel purge, just in case (Each a day apart, leaving the pump "filled"...
  11. CableJockey

timing belt and serpentine belt age

Timing belts I believe use neoprene in their construction, which tends to have a shelf life of 5-10 years, if stored in 'ideal' conditions. However, that is also roughly the service life of a timing belt... Not sure I would trust a new belt knowing that it was nearing the end of it's "shelf...
  12. CableJockey

HELP with site

Third party photo hosting is usually the method I choose. For quick and easy (and free) hosting, I use: https://postimages.org/ No account needed. Upload photos, the site provides links, copy into post. Done.
  13. CableJockey

G12/G13 coolant question

See this: https://www.wolflubes.com/EN_EU/Blog/2016/What-you-need-to-know-about-G13-antifreeze-and-coolant.aspx Suggests that metal makeup of the cooling system is what matters.
  14. CableJockey

Tips for removing cigarette smoke?

Chlorine dioxide. Used to work at a detail shop and anything that had weird lingering odors after cleaning got bombed with the stuff for a full day. Usually worked pretty good... But not what anyone should consider "safe": we were using it in much higher concentrations that listed on the label...