Recent content by BugBug

1. B

AutoXray EZ-Scan 5000 Update file needed

Delete me. Admin, feel free to delete this post.
  2. B

BEW starting

I would like to add a note: I have been working on my wife's 05 NB 1.9L BEW. Two codes have come up: 19463 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) P3007 - 000 - No Signal - Intermittent 16502 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62) P0118 - 000 - Signal too High - Intermittent...
  3. B

coolant glow plugs: back with results!

Does your car have an Automatic Transmission?
  4. B

Low RPM - three part solution.

Another example of stealer incompetence. Great news that you got it fixed! BTW welcome to the TDI Club:-)
  5. B

Torque wrenches/leverage.

Good answer. That makes sense. Thank you.
  6. B

DrSmile, That silly torque wrench can keep things from falling off or worse yet breaking off if used correctly. Some experienced mechanics may be able to get away with your method 99 out of a 100 times. However, when you tighten a critical bolt, like one that holds your motor up or a glow plug...
  7. B

Ignition switch questions 00 beetle

Check the connector prong on the wire side and make sure it makes solid contact with the male prong on the ignition switch. If the spade connector does not make solid contact, even a low amperage draw over the connection will heat up/arc and possibly melting the internal parts of the ingnition...
  8. B

Verry well stated. This may be a well known fact (or not): Never use a torque wrench to remove a bolt or tighten a left handed thread bolt, unless it is designed for bi-directional torque. Before putting the wrench away, reset it to zero.The Auto Zone store here has a good selection of torque...
  9. B

head carbon

Also, if a chunk of carbon gets stuck in a valve and keeps it open. You will bend it(the valve).
  10. B

lugnuts / lugbolts

I used these on my 2001 NB with aftermarket rims that have a tight fit. The socket fits perfectly.
  11. B

Help, I am an electrical idiot!

Try cutting a coke can into strips.
  12. B

Cluster Question?

Is this with the key on or off or both?
  13. B

I've got a dirty head.

If you have access to a boroscope, try using that to see if you actually have anything in the cylinders or stuck in the valves. This may save you some time.
  14. B

Is there a PCV in a TDI??

I believe this might be an error. Maybe I have my terminology wrong? The black puck looking thing on top of the valve cover, I believe is a PCV valve. Perhaps one of the gurus could chime in if I have that wrong. Happy motoring.....:D
  15. B

Compression numbers recorded.

Sounds like you have a good handle on things. When getting your compression readings did you turn the motor over until the needle on the guage stopped moving up? The compression seems a little low for the miles (this may still be OK depending on how the car was driven/maintained). However you...