Recent content by Bret2094

1. B

WTB: ALH EGR Cooler + Upper and Lower Pipes

Ive got everything you'll need in Houston, TX. I can ship if interested
  2. B

FS 1998 Jetta TDI Partout Houston, TX

I have a 1998 Jetta TDI for partout. It has a super clean black cloth interior with power windows. Someone please come take some parts before I have to scrap the car. Located near Houston, TX. The following parts have been sold. I'll also post the marketplace ad. Engine Trans Front and...
  3. B

Brake lights on. New switch and grounded bulbs not the issue

Looks like I'm about to revive my own dead thread. Over the last couple of years I have tried numerous things to resolve my constant flashing glow plug light situation to no avail. I have had to drive this car for the last 2.5 years with the red/black wire bypassed in order to have functional...
  4. B

Heavy Smoke on Startup/accelerating - low fuel mileage, oil consumption

Would that cause increased oil consumption?
  5. B

ALH Valve Spring Retainer Keeper Problems

Haha yeah that's just the running ones. I've got a couple of parts cars and spare engines. Planning to alh swap my 78 westy at some point. Possibly my 62 ghia as well... I don't have a problem lol
  6. B

99.5 mk4 tdi jetta standard shifter handle

Do yourself a favor and upgrade to the 2000+ setup. The parts are more durable, and you can even get the short shifter stuff to fit. This was the first mod I did on my 99.5. Find a donor. Can be 1.8,1.9 or 2.0 as long as it's 5 speed 02j manual. Put the car in neutral, disconnect shifter...
  7. B

Hey thanks! Sounds super simple but I bent a junk flathead in a with a magnetic end in a vice and this did the trick. Apart from dropping a retainer and spending a good 20 minutes looking for it, I got the rest in without a hitch. Again thanks because the combination of bent flathead and a pick...
  8. B

Hi everyone, I've spent the better part of the last week reconditioning one of my 03 ALH wagon heads. It originally needed the #2 glow plug extracted and helicoiled so I decided to remove the head. Long story short, I managed to repair the glow plug, and decided now was a good time to change my...
  9. B

Interchangebility of gear selectors, 02J

My 1999.5 had the older 02A trans with leftover shifter bits from the mk3 days. It had horrible slop and I wanted to upgrade to the 02J box and get one of DieselGeek's short shifters. Either 02J revision will work, but there was a cutoff for different designs. 00-2001 IIRC and 2002-2005/6. I...
  10. B

OEM Spring advise for a Jetta wagon

Its been a minute since ive had the springs off, but if memory serves, the 2.0/tdi/1.8 springs are all about the same in the front unless it comes off of a gli. The difference is in the rear springs. You can use sedan rear springs, but you will sit lower to the ground in the rear. Sounds better...
  11. B

Heavy Smoke on Startup/accelerating - low fuel mileage, oil consumption

Man my 03 alh/5 speed wagon does the same thing! hopefully you figure it out... high smoke, oil consumption, a lousy 36 mpg. We bought it that way 70 k miles ago( I drive 60k a year) My 99.5 gets well over 50 mpg with the same tires,filters, and a timing belt job. Ive set my iq in vcds to 3.2...
  12. B

Alh to bew swap

Just for my sanity, do you throw any CEL or glow plugs lights? Debating doing this to a wagon that has a blown up bew and I happen to have 3 alh donors in the back yard... Thanks, Bret
  13. B

Thanks! I hope yours was relaxing. We just got back to college station. Wound up doing 800 miles round trip in the car after driving to see other relatives while in the area. Other than developing a major power steering leak in the rack, the trip was uneventful. We noticed on the trip that quite...
  14. B

I spent all of yesterday following the red/black wire from the most forward point I could, to the rear of the car's harness and found nothing of suspect. The wire itself begins at the brake switch, goes up into the harness , at some point makes it's way down to the harness that follows the...
  15. B

Yes it does. Reads 11.9 volts at all times, unless fuse 14 is removed. With 14 removed, you only get voltage when the pedal is pressed, as intended. Checked on the back of the fuse panel to see if something had obviously been tampered with, but I haven't had any luck in that department...