Recent content by bisonbrew

1. B

Loose Axle Nut Cause ?

What would cause a loose axle lug nut? I wonder if the work I had done end of February is the cause.....In February, a reputable shop replaced the front passenger cross member and the "control arm-front lower w/o BJ w/ Bushings" after pothole damage. After 1,000 miles of freeway driving in Mid...
  2. B

ABS Module Replacement?

Thanks for replies. I'll follow through and report back.Forgot to say that at the fuel station I checked master cylinder reservoir and it was full. Then went in to shop. They speculated that the uneven rear brake pad wear meant the rear caliper drivers side was sticking so change both. Agree a...
  3. B

ABS Module Replacement?

What questions should I ask the mechanic to troubleshoot before continuing repair process? ABS warning had come on the day before a road trip home, but gone off again within a couple miles, so next morning I just got on the freeway to go home since no brake problems were apparent. Couple stops...
  4. B

VAG COM diagnosis for MPG and limp mode

RE: Wonerbar....by "metal" I meant to say that there was only a thin film of oil, and a glove swipe removed the oil revealing the EGR factory metal surface, that is, no build up of anything and definitely no shavings!!!! RE: Timing Belt Change Did this in early November.....fuel economy was...
  5. B

(1) I took off the flex elbow to look at the EGR interior. I don't have an o ring, so I didn't want to remove the other side yet to see directly into the manifold. The interior of EGR was a bit oily, but not gritty or any residue (does my CCV mod help??). Oil wiped away with my glove tip...
  6. B

I have a Malone Stage 1 tune, and was considering upgrade to 2 (nozzles plus clutch), but first I thought I would review my "as is" by renting a VAG COM (my first time, so newbie) to improve low fuel economy (34 mpg after timing belt change by a shop) and limp mode. 2001 TDI with 187,000, and...
  7. B

Failure to Start: White Smoke?

Yes. Car ran fine yesterday. No white smoke at all. I will see how it starts and runs today. I remain spooked about why there was a lot of white smoke in the engine compartment.
  8. B

Failure to Start: White Smoke?

Had a failure to start on a ~40 F morning. Until that AM, car ran fine, smooth at idle, occasional limp mode on highway I hadn't gotten around to diagnosing. 2nd timing belt replacement just 6,000 miles ago at 180,000. Looked at the engine, did some searches here, and I figured it was a fuel...
  9. B

Fuel Filter Change

I just changed my fuel filter on my 2003 Jetta. How long does it take to get air out of the filter? I used a Mighty Vac to fill the filter pulling a vaccuum until the fuel came into the plastic tubing. Then I put the fuel line back on, released the clamp, and started the engine. I still see...
  10. B

SOLD: 2003 Platinum Gray Jetta GLS 5spd

So, I flew from Oakland, CA to Detroit, MI and back yesterday all in a marathon 27 hours (frequent flyer miles) to check out this TDI. Spent 8 hours with PlatinumGLS and his car and I bought it. It is a sweet car! You fence sitters missed out. I can't believe more forbidden state folks are...
  11. B

SOLD: 2003 Platinum Gray Jetta GLS 5spd

Re: FS: 2003 Platinum Gray Jetta GLS 5-speed *LOAD Hey, there. A newbie from a forbidden state (CA) is interested. Contact me when you get back from Vegas.
  12. B

*SOLD* 2004 Jetta GLS TDI $18,000 OBO Plat Grey

Re: FS: 04 Jetta GLS TDI 5spd stock -WI Forbidden state query.....is this car still for sale?