Recent content by Bernhardt

1. B

Prechamber for a 1.6 na

Anybody know who sells them? I had one basically split in half on me. Hammered the head and piston crown pretty good, and bent the intake valve stem. A nice round disk of the prechamber insert is pounded(welded?) on the the piston head - I haven't tried to remove it yet other than by finger...
  2. B

AAZ connecting rod bolts - replace?

Are you sure, you don't mean the head bolts? If so, I would recommend getting new ones.
  3. B

Gas in diesel fuel

The biggest difference is the fuel, not the systems. When that manual was written diesel was allowed something like 1000ppm sulpher. In 92 or so, Ca got "low" sulpher fuel on the order of 200 ppm. Lots of fuel pumps and systems had issues. From simple leaks to mechanical failures because the...
  4. B

Injection Pump.

The picture of the internals agrees with a Bosch Handbook I've got(wherever it is). I guess I was thinking that the VP37 was closer to the early "electronic"(which could be "limped" ie made to act like my pure mechanical unit) pumps than it is.
  5. B

Home Oil works Great

If you get a problem with the taxman, just tell him you use ATF as a fuel additive - some people swear by it. I used to use an additive called Burns Red, but they sort of had to discontinue selling it - something about the color.
  6. B

Injection Pump.

DB, that's why I asked. I wasn't sure the TDI was drive by wire. They're kind of rare out here in California which is one of the main reasons I don't own one yet. Some of the electronic pumps are basicaly mechanical pumps with electronic controls thrown on. So you know what series the pump...
  7. B

Injection Pump.

What series of Bosch injection pumps does the TDI use? I'm thinking that a "limp" mode could be created by disconnecting all the electrical connections from the pump, and then running a hot wire directly from the battery to fuel shut-off solendoid. This will work as long as the fuel metering...
  8. B

Bully Dog Propane injection system

Is that at full throttle, or at idle? If it's at full throttle, I'm very suprised. Thermal stresses are what you get when you have different temperatures in different parts of a structure(contraction & expansion). Thermodynamics is the study of heat and energy(Otto, Diesel cycles). I agree...
  9. B

Fuel Quality: U.S. vs. Russian

Ric, it's a Lockheed-Martin built rocket isn't it- they still calling it an Atlas something? You know if this one has the Russian built engines, or the American built engines of the same design(Zenit?). I know Boeing's Sea Launch joint venture using the Zenit engine just put a satellite into...
  10. B

Bully Dog Propane injection system

For those of you who are interested.... The propane rate is 25% of the diesel fuel rate. If you want max power, then you want to dump liquid propane into the intake just after the intercooler. The propane will never make it to the engine as a liquid(boiling point about -40 C & F) because...
  11. B

TDI Submarine

Valois, I assume you're going to propane injection for more power. If you're trying to increase mileage forget it. Diesel consumption will go down, but overall fuel consumption will stay the same. I don't know where your nozzle(and corresponding press drop) is, but I would suggest putting it...
  12. B

TIGHT, Short of money

I drive diesels becuase I like them! They're reliable. I haven't been left on the side of road because of engine problems(I was once because a CV joint I had replace a month prior grenaded.) since I put the TD in my pickup 250k miles ago. As to the difference between getting 35-40 mpg(VW...
  13. B

TDI Transplant

Thanks for the info guys. A doner vehicle if I'm going to do this was in the plans anyway. I probably won't do the transplant to my current truck - the engines' ran way too strong very reliably for 328k to just toss it. So for this truck it's more a distant second choice, but I have my eye on...
  14. B

TDI Transplant

My 82 pickup is nearing a rebuild. I'm toying with the idea of dropping a TDI into it. I'm pretty sure that the TDI will bolt to my current tranny, but can the tranny take the torque of the TDI, let a lone a tweaked one. I also know that changing over my shifting mechanism to the current...
  15. B

Daimler/Chrysler to drop Cummins?

The Ram pickups will get Cummins engines through at least 2004 or 2007. Can't remember which as at some point DC extended the contract. Ford will buy International engines through 2013. The model year of interest is 2008. Nobody knows (yet) how to meet the diesel emissions levels that kick...