Recent content by barshnik

1. B

Sort of TDi related

The 1.8 TSI seems quicker in most every way than the tdi, good enough for me.
  2. B

Sort of TDi related

I've hinted around this for some time - my 2013 Passat TDI had a number of problems (HPFP, Urea sensor / heater) that resulted in a lot of service time (about 6 weeks total) with 25k miles on the car. Back in November (post diesel gate) VW Customer Care asked if I'd be interested in a gasser...
  3. B

Hypothetical questions about trading to a TSI

Hypothetical of course: It will be interesting to see how this car swap plays out. I've not pressed for details (will I be expected to pay a 'delivery' fee?) But all indications are that it'll be satisfactory to me. So far I've done well by being patient, and making no requests or demands of...
  4. B

Anyone have luck trading TDI after EPA announcement?

Mine, however, being one of them to fail, at 17k miles while on vacation to NoCal. Car spent 4 weeks at a dealer far far away. VW did get us a rental (Versa) to drive back home. The TDI is a complicated arrangement, there is much more that can fail (expensively) than the same car with a...
  5. B

Would you still want to get rid of your TDI had dieselgate never happened?

Exactly what I was thinking, this possibly being 'testing the waters' for buy-backs / trades for another VW product due to diesel gate. They actually offered to use the MSRP (a few years ago) on my '13 Passat TDI toward the MSRP (now) on any VW vehicle. The Passat suits us best though, so that...
  6. B

Would you still want to get rid of your TDI had dieselgate never happened?

Had my '13 Passat SE TDI been trouble free, no way would I have been looking to off it. However, in 33k miles I've had a failed HPFP requiring 4 weeks in a VW dealer shop 400 miles from town, a failed urea tank / sensor / heater failure (another week in the shop here waiting for parts) and a...
  7. B

Hypothetical questions about trading to a TSI

Pretend you own a 2013 Passat TDI SE with 33k miles, in perfect condition. Pretend you've had some issues (HPFP failure at 18k miles, urea sensor / heater failure at 24k, windshield washer tank / pump failure at 28k) that have resulted in your car spending 6 weeks in the shop, just as a...
  8. B

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

That's funny. I found the tsi perfectly drivable compared to my TDI. I did have a bit of a question / problem with the auto box, but car itself seems to have plenty of oomph. Wife & I have 4 other cars, not looking for anything fun, we already have that covered. What we do want is a...
  9. B

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

I'll be switching to a 2016 Passat SEL Premiun TSI (auto box) from my 2013 Passat TDI in March. At risk of upsetting folks for asking questions about gassers in a TDI forum, here goes: 2016 is rated at 38mpg highway, whereas the 2015 was rated at 35. What changed? Engine tweaks? Gearing...
  10. B

This tech actually requires much water - to keep the mirrors clean and to cool the heat transfer media before it can start the cycle again. The similar plant in Dagget CA is now closed down. I think straight PV has gotten cheap enough to render that tech obsolete already. ------ Off topic
  11. B

Yes, I 'soft-pushed' for lemon law for the month it was in a shop a long way from home, but didn't pursue it. All in their records though. My biggest gripe with them about diesel gate is that my wife is an environmental scientist for a large government contractor and she liked the idea it was...
  12. B

Not until I pick a car and things are final. It may very well be too good to be true.
  13. B

My 2013 TDI SEL has been in the shop nearly 6 weeks out of about 120 weeks of ownership. A few weeks ago I called. Customer Care pointing this out, along with my concern about possible fixes for the emission issues. Among the problems was a HPFP failure that stranded us on a vacation to...
  14. B

It's correct, ask me how I know. Every piece of the car that touches fuel gets replaced.