Recent content by atc98002

1. atc98002

Upgraded TDIClub forums

I'm back on my home computers, and found my previous bookmarks didn't work there either. But I've updated them with the full HTTPS now, so I should be good from now on. :)
  2. atc98002

Upgraded TDIClub forums

OK, something completely changed with the forum this week. The browser shortcuts I had saved all took me to a test server, not this one. If there was an announcement recently, I never saw it. Any shortcuts saved to a specific sub-section will no longer work. At first I thought the system was...
  3. atc98002

Entire TDI family named "Worst Foreign Car Engine Of All Time"

I don't agree with that statement. Take a car that offers both engines, such as the Golf. While each gallon of D2 might emit more CO2 and other emissions compared to the gas engine, it uses far less fuel per mile, so the emissions per mile ends up lower for a diesel. Add in the particulate...
  4. atc98002

My mechanic said not to use biodiesel...

I believe that this swelling issue is resolved with replacement seals (my mind is drawing a blank on the material used for the improved seals), and then it never happens again. The 2005 might even have the newer style that is OK with it. But even so, everything I've seen posted here over the...
  5. atc98002

GeeZ! $3.90gal Biodiesel ASTM D6751 at the refinery in Oakland CA!!

Well, this thread is almost 10 years old, so whatever was mentioned before has likely changed.
  6. atc98002

Fuel heater for running SVO/WVO

Well, the picture of the Audi part is a little fuzzy and not as well lit. It doesn't look like it has equivalent heat transfer capacity, but that might just be the picture.
  7. atc98002

U.S. Comeback?

Of course, a diesel range extender would really have no need for a turbo. It would likely run at a steady RPM of say 2000 for the most part. But that's the only use I would want for a diesel. In a general hybrid, the engine is far too often in stop and run mode, and it would likely be hell...
  8. atc98002

U.S. Comeback?

Yes, it's a PHEV, but it doesn't get 50 EV miles. It's rated at 32 miles, and that's about what my daughter gets. But even with the engine running it still gets 30 MPG. It's an amazingly efficient minivan. If you can spend the majority of your driving in EV mode, your overall fuel use is...
  9. atc98002

WVO and car not starting?

I wouldn't touch a non-running converted car. Way too many potential issues that would be more noticable if it were running. It would have to be priced as though you were going to replace the long block completely. In other words it would have to practically free, and you're enough of a wrench...
  10. atc98002

I acknowledge MIT as a knowledgeable source. But even their lead line says "will likely cause", so it's still an educated guesstimate. Again, one with some chops behind it, but still just an estimate.
  11. atc98002

I think the overall problem with the lead article is that the author lumped all TDIs into the same bucket. We all understand there is a significant difference between models, with the only common factor being the TDI label and that they use diesel fuel. There's no comparison to the latest CR...
  12. atc98002

SVO installation on 2011 vw TDI Sportwagon?

Thanks for taking the time to look this up. It's difficult to follow all the legal gobbletygoop, but I think that is solely to provide a pathway for companies such as Greasecar to certify their conversions. Perhaps I missed it in there, but couldn't find anything that specifically states that a...
  13. atc98002

I can't think of any reason that using WVO would be illegal. In some states you might need to pay a per gallon tax on your home made fuel, but there's nothing illegal about it. My brother bought a Jetta (I believe a 2002-03) that had a WVO kit and drove it for some time before finding a BMW 5...
  14. atc98002

But removing the DPF is illegal because it violates federal emissions laws. Yes, with Bio-D or VO, the amount of particulate is far lower. But that doesn't matter to the law. So since it has to remain in place, there's no way a CR TDI will survive running VO. Even 100% BD causes issues without a...
  15. atc98002

There has been some conversions with the Subaru flat four. water cooling, more power, and I think it can still fit under the engine cover.