Recent content by arcking

1. A

09A - No Forward Gears

It ended up being a failed o-ring on one of the clutch drums. I suspect failing solenoids led to harsh shifting which in turn led to the o-ring failing. I replaced the o-ring and frictions in that clutch and put a ton of miles on it without issues.
  2. A

Looking for a reliable Tdi mechanic in West Virginia/Pennsylvania

German Auto Outfitters in Beallsville, PA may be another option for you if you're looking for a shop. They're not TDI gurus, but very familiar with VWs and do know ALHs.
  3. A

2005 Beetle BEW - no start

Start with replacing the G28 sensor...known to go bad on BEWs.
  4. A

Steering rack tubing leaking

I ran into the same thing and used EAA's kit to replace those lines: https://eaaengineering.com/products/mk4-golf-jetta-steering-rack-hard-line-replacement-kit
  5. A

2005 MK4 Jetta PD BEW timing belt service information?

ToxicDoc has it right. If you have an interest in doing it yourself take some time to read through MOGolf's excellent guide: https://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3419/BEW_timing_belt_procedure.pdf
  6. A

WTB bosal trailer hitch for MK IV golf

I don't recall unfortunately, it's been a few years - I don't recall it taking months though. Their website may be able to give you an estimate, else I'm guessing customer service could.
  7. A

High injection quantity at idle after cold start (2004 BEW)

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why an '04 BEW would be requiring a high injection quantity to maintain idle after a cold start? It's my understanding that ECU will adjust fueling as necessary to maintain 903 rpm at idle - in this case of my car, this means around 15-20 mg/st (well over...
  8. A

WTB bosal trailer hitch for MK IV golf

Not sure if they carry Bosal, but I ordered a Westfalia Swan Neck Towbar from PF Jones - at least at the time, they'd deliver to the US.
  9. A

Headliner longevity

I have 2 '04s that have been in PA, WV, and MD. Both have headliners that sag from the B pillar back.
  10. A

Long crank - BEW engine

What's the VAG Number? I'm thinking that 0282 may indicate that your ECU has been updated to 038 906 016 R, which would be a higher version than the 038 906 016 H I believe the TSB references (going from memory).
  11. A

Long crank - BEW engine

I'm not aware of one other than watching RPM. If it's bad enough, you should see a code - also may have the glow plug light flashing when trying to restart. If it's still the original sensor, I'd agree with Tdijarhead that it'd be worth replacing as a test - though I would expect to see a code...
  12. A

Long crank - BEW engine

Have you tried wiggling the cable to the crank sensor while the engine is running? I've seen similar issues where the insulation on the wires within the outer sheath has degraded. If you'd move the cable running from the connector on the front of the engine to the sensor itself the engine would...
  13. A

Long crank - BEW engine

You'll see it once you enter the Engine controller section in VCDS - it'll be the last four digits of the "Component" field. For what it's worth, it made a HUGE difference in cold starts on my BEW with software at revision 6327.
  14. A

Long crank - BEW engine

For what it's worth, in my testing on a BEW fuel pressure has bled off slowly after engine shut down when testing at the tandem pump. I remember being able to visibly the needle move, but it not dropping quickly.
  15. A

Very low power after cold start (04 BEW)

Camshaft sensors or crankshaft sensors? I'm very familiar with issues with the crankshaft sensor (G28), but not familiar with issues with the camshaft sensor.