Recent content by Antler

1. A

What are the things about VW you DON'T like?

I brought a 2013 Passat SEL home last night for a test drive.. It's a beautiful car over all BUT.. The ride home took about an hour and by the time I got here, the seats that had seemed comfortable at the Dealership were now killing me. My wife drove the car for about 20 minutes and she had...
  2. A

Finding Things Under The Hood - Maintenance 101

Yuri, Thanks for the tip, I have looked everywhere except autozone for that wrench. Not even Matco or Snap on had it. I will give autozone a try. Thanks
  3. A

Spring Texas - cheap, quick oil change

Maybe they use it in something else that is not diesel??
  4. A

Spring Texas - cheap, quick oil change

After waiting up to 3 hours at the VW dealer to get my oil changed a couple of times, I thought I would see if the Audi dealer on I45 -just North of FM1960 would change it for me. Viola, I took my own oil and a filter (but I found out he has the oil) and he only charged me $12 for the oil...
  5. A

Leatherette fabric

Indover, I had the same thoughts you are having a few months back. I was coming from a Lexus with really, really, really great seats to the VW Passat. The pssat seats are nowhere near as comfortable as the Lexus leather seats but I have gotten used to them. FWIW, Somebody probably makes...
  6. A

2005 Passat Power Steering Questions??

FWIW, I checked my power steering fluid this morning and it was barely touching the bottom of the dip stick so I spent a couple of hours tracking down the fluid and the info. When I did put some fluid in, it only took a ounce or two to bring it to the "max" line. BTW, I notice the Vehicle...
  7. A

Why is Diesel so expensive ?

Diesel prices depend on the laws of supply and demand like everything else. We were down to $1.95 for a while and now we are back up to $2.25 this week. BTW, I have been driving a diesel for many years and I notice the price always goes up when the refineries switch over to the production of...
  8. A

Radio problems

Thanks for the suggestions. The recoding idea makes sense. I am vaguely aware of the 9 kc spacing as I have that on my yachtboy radio. I will try to talk to the service mgr tommorrow. A-Man (fingers crossed here)
  9. A

Radio problems

I am having problems with the Monsoon radio. It sounds like the AM radio is slightly off frequency. The dealer says this is normal for this radio???? FWIW, at times, when the radio is hardley working, if I pull over and turn the car off then back on, it will usually work better. Any...
  10. A

Considering purchase of Passat TDI Wagon

I bought my wife a 2005 Passat Wagon a month ago to replace her old 2004 Lexus RX330. Comparing the two cars, overall, I think we prefer the Passat a little more for various reasons, visability for one as it is very hard to see out the back of a RX330, and fuel economy. The lexus ride and...
  11. A

First oil change with 2005 Passat TDI

YMZ, Cool, thanks for the link. New thought here: I usually change the tranny fluid on my truck about every six or seven months depending on how much towing I have done. I think I can probably get away with changing the filter just once a year and use this unit on the odd fluid changes.
  12. A

First oil change with 2005 Passat TDI

YMZ, and others I can't seem to find the Pella extractor anywhere. Even a google search turns up nothing similar. Anyone have a direct link? Regards, Antler
  13. A

blowing hot air

Mea culpa Well..... I just "thought" the car wasn't serviced properly. I went and got my oil early this morning and checked the oil before I was going to add. With a cold engine and all the oil in the pan, the oil level was in the upper middle of the crosshatch area. I now know to check...
  14. A

blowing hot air

Any kind of oil beats no oil I'm sure that is not bad advice if you have a choice in the matter, but if you are stuck on the road then you might have be a little more pragmatic and top off with what ever you can get just to get yourself to the VW dealership. Of course, I would then have the...
  15. A

blowing hot air

505.1 oil Reference the oil issue, I was reading in one of the threads on this site about the 505.1 oil being dark so I thought I would take a look. What I discovered was that I had very little oil on the dip stick to take a look at (@ 180 total miles). I spent a couple of hours looking...