Recent content by allen_p

1. A

Pure coincidence? Broken right side motor mount right after timing belt replacement.

Gradually getting this taken care of. Got the Van Gogh bracket in today. From the damage to the bolts and to the bracket that bolts to the block, I can see the sequence of events: the front bolt sheared off first, then the lower bolt backed out gradually, the top bolt began to loosen and...
  2. A

ALH Van Gogh repair challenge: upper bold clearance

Success, at last. If you're struggling as I was, try these suggestions: 1. Come at it from below, through the wheel well. This way you can see what you're doing and your hands are at a better angle to manipulate the bolt. 2. My bolt, supplied with the bracket, was a couple mm too long. Until...
  3. A

Still a mystery, after speaking with DieselGeek DieselGeek initially said sometimes one has to remove a turbo to get adequate clearance, but then after seeing photos of my situation they said on an ALH with stock turbo (which they say I have), nobody has ever had a problem installing that bolt...
  4. A

Maybe depends on turbo? I think an earlier version of DieselGeek's bracket was smaller and only used a lower bolt. I've verified that I have the right bracket (from their current product line) for my block. I just spoke with them on the phone and it sounds like some turbos provide more access...
  5. A

ALH Van Gogh repair challenge: upper bolt clearance Hi all - I'm trying to install a DieselGeek Van Gogh repair bracket on my 2003 Jetta ALH block. DieselGeek's photo shows plenty of clearance for a 15mm socket extension to clear the turbo, but in my case there seems to be barely room to get...
  6. Van Gogh upper bolt turbo clearance

Van Gogh upper bolt turbo clearance

7. Van Gogh upper bolt boss on block

Van Gogh upper bolt boss on block

8. A

Broke motor mount 2004 TDI passenger side: timing belt issue?

Random or predictable? I experienced a similar mishap right after a timing belt replacement: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=501606 I'm curious: had you (or anyone else) reinstalled that motor mount any time recently, or was this failure out of the blue?
  9. A

Pure coincidence? Broken right side motor mount right after timing belt replacement.

Hi all - I have the Van Gogh bracket now and I got my mount-to-block bracket out today. A few questions for those of you with experience in this matter: 1. The top rear bolt, the one for the broken ear, is bent. This suggests to me that there was a bending torque on it when the ear broke. Has...
  10. A

I spoke with Tom at Halsey Automotive Repair today and politely shared the opinions offered here and by the local expert TDI mechanic I spoke with. I said I thought his shop had made an honest mistake and I asked him to take responsibility for the consequences. Tom said he disagreed, suggesting...
  11. A

@Mongler98: the shop is Halsey Automotive, not on the trusted list but specializing in VW of all ages and used by some members of this list. Justin Grow, who is on the trusted list here, gave me the opinion that an 03 ear shouldn't break off unless someone forgot the replace the mount bracket...
  12. A

@csstevej: I see other reports of Van Gogh incidents, but no mention of "hidden" bolt tightening. Can you say a little more about this? It sounds like the three bolts holding the motor mount bracket to the block weren't tightened correctly or perhaps were reused when they should've been...
  13. A

Thanks guys. It looks like parts & labor could be $1k or more since the new timing belt installation may have been damaged and there was a fire up front, and with small children and three jobs I can't easily do the repairs myself. Parts may be cheap, but time is not! Your input has been helpful.
  14. A

Block broken Thanks Bob for weighing in. Can you suggest a way I could know with any certainty whether they replaced the bolts or not when the timing belt was done? It's not clear to me that any bolt broke: what I can see is a broken part of my block with the end of a motor mount bolt...