Recent content by All of Us

1. A

Sudden onset of thumping noise in engine bay

Thanks for the information Rx7145 and the advice backfast61! I have known the parts guy at my local VW place going back to the time I owned an aircooled Vanagon, and possibly before that as well. He is a great guy and the parts department has never done wrong by me. The Service Department is a...
  2. A

Volks: I had a chance to pull the valve cover off today and visually inspect the cam shaft, and the news in not good. Although most of the lobes are in good shape one is severely eroded and several others are showing sign of wear. In my younger days I probably would have taken this repair on...
  3. A

I am planning to remove the plastic valve cover. I have done this before and the last time was at a GTG near Lima, Ohio. At that time the cam looked great, but that was many years and many miles ago. As to oil used, I have always done my own changes and have always used oil that complies to the...
  4. A

The cam is original, and the car has 125,000 miles. I guess I'll take a look at it later this week. Is DMF dual mass flywheel?
  5. A

Volks: This evening when I went and started my '06 A5 Jetta "Graycie" so I could drive my son home it has developed a thumping noise in the engine bay. It is not present at idle but shows up when I apply throttle. I had my wife help me try to pinpoint the location that the noise is coming from...
  6. A

Cracked fuel tank / filler neck argh!

I just posted a new thread on what appears to be this same problem. Searched for this before hand too. Oh well. I have owned my 2015 Passat for over 2 years and have never had it leak like this before, and I always filled it right up to the rim of the filler hole on previous fill ups. Today was...
  7. A

I think my fuel filler neck is leaking

Volks: Today I was filling up my wife's 2015 NMS Passat, "Gin", and when I attempted to top the car up as I have done on all previous fill-ups an attendant at the fuel station shouted that fuel was leaking out of my car. When I looked underneath the car, it certainly was running down the side...
  8. A

No interior heat from Climatronic system

TDIatLast: You are correct, the car I am referring to on this issue is my '06 Jetta. Oilhammer: Don't worry about the confusion. I do have an NMS Passat and any pointers about that one are welcome too. I assume that replacing the clamps and seals on the connections at the HC are an "Every...
  9. A

Not good news, but thanks or your input! Oilhammer: It seems like the heater core (HC) is the likely culprit. Is there always coolant flowing through the HC, and the cabin temperature is controlled by how far the flaps/doors are opened or closed? there were no codes last time, but I will hook...
  10. A

Volks: After doing extensive searching on this topic (Redshed's thread seemed helpful) I need to ask some questions to try and diagnose my problem. Graycie has been having problems sending any heat into the passenger cabin whether through the end, center, floor, or defroster vents. I am leaning...
  11. A

2015 stick shift: Disable/alter upshift indicator?

Here we go again Volks: OK, time to revive this thread. Does anyone have a definitive answer on whether the upshift arrow can be disabled, and how to do it? I recently bought a "Dieselgate" Passat and would like to kill that annoying arrow if possible. Any help would be appreciated. Dan
  12. A

What did you do to your car today?

100,000th mile today Volks: I only had 5 miles left before the magical 100,000th mile came up, so I went for a little drive and about 100 yards before I pulled back into my driveway it happened. Thanks for all those miles, Graycie, and thanks to all the people on TDI Club (Fred's) for helping...
  13. A

Winter tires, whos put them on?

The winter tires are asleep in the basement! Volks: I finally swapped out the Blizzaks for the Goodyear A/S tires today. I think this is the longest I've ever waited to remove the winter tires since I started doing the summer/winter tire swap thing. I'm really going to be in for a ration of...
  14. A

Winter tires, whos put them on?

Tempting fate? Volks: I see from my post last year that it was about this time when I took the Blizzaks off. However, I am going to wait a few more weeks this year. I bought a winter front from Peter for Liath this year and already took that off the car. The first thing my wife did was tell me...
  15. A

Rear Wheel Bearing Change

Volks: I pulled out my Bentley manual and according to the manual the rear wheel retaining bolt is torqued to 180Nm (133ft-lbs)+ ½ turn (180°). Talk about "tighter than a Bull's ass"!:eek: