Recent content by alanack

1. A

98 TDI excessive smoke

Well for stock turbo, timing, and tune? The car has low miles ~160k but it sat a lot, and it was definitely beat on a bit... i think fresh injectors with the correct pop pressure would help a bit here. I just hate black smoke, and diesels get enough bad rap these days especially...
  2. A

98 TDI excessive smoke

Car is running much better now and my fuel economy is consistently 52-55MPG where before it was 41-48 and occasionally above 50. Still blows heavy smoke if you romp on it.. i was thinking its got nozzles? My core injectors on my bench need to be rebuilt.... what do you guys...
  3. A

MKIII TDI Reliability

I bought my TDIs to save fuel because my trucks werent viable anymore as dailys on a 90 mile commute. They are 12v cummins s so they easily get 20-22MPG, but I've been getting about 55MPH with the jetta so its an easy win. The added insurance and maintenance of multiple vehicles...
  4. A

98 TDI excessive smoke

To be clear routating the pump towards the fire will advances timing.... So to advance timing on the gear/belt I would have to rotate the gear towards the radiator? Moving the timing pin below the hole?
  5. A

98 TDI excessive smoke

I always losen the lines after moving the pump to ensure they arent binding or under stress. I did pull the the pump pin. So next timing belt job.... pull the belt and with the pump pinned in place.... losen mounting hardware and set the pump as far back towards the radiator as...
  6. A

98 TDI excessive smoke

Cam or injection pump? I popped the cam pulley loose, but I left the IP tight.
  7. A

98 TDI excessive smoke

I tell you i most certainly had a one hell of a time, getting this engine timed right. It kept jumping on the flywheel. The only way i got it on correctly, was to slide the belt on all the pulleys at once. Then when i tensioned the belt it stayed in time. I recheck several times...
  8. A

98 TDI excessive smoke

Look closer the tip is mushroomed, valve dropped and beat the nozzle up
  9. A

98 TDI excessive smoke

Yeah i bought the whole metalnerd kid to do the belt. Cam lock, timing pin for the IP ect ect. I read on line that some AHUs need the IP advanced on the belt otherwise you have very little to no adjustment left with rotating the pump. My IP does leak the slightest amount when its...
  10. A

98 TDI excessive smoke

So the timing was so far retarded it didn't even show on graph. It was very difficult to time, literally had to push the pump as far forward as it would.... just to get it in the middle... Next time i do the timing belt im going to advance the pump a few teeth on the belt... Iq was at...
  11. A

98 TDI excessive smoke

I have an AHU on the floor in my garage that has a messed up valve/ lifter im going to pull the injectors out of that and try and swap it.... Hopefully it didnt drop a valve and smash the tip off
  12. A

98 TDI excessive smoke

Timing is currently set at *57, target value according to my snap-on scanner, well within the limits.... Also the car smoked before i replaced the belt, so that leads me to believe its not a timing issues. Im thinking iq or injectors
  13. A

98 TDI excessive smoke

Also i drive this car every day about 90 miles. No CEL either and i know the bulb works
  14. A

98 TDI excessive smoke

I had a temp boost installed and the car would build about 12psi quick... every single vacuum line has been replaced. I swapped ECMs temporarily to see if there was a tune on it, no dice there. Coolant temp sensor was replaced when i did the glow plugs. What is correct injection...
  15. A

98 TDI excessive smoke

First post here.... So i bought this car in October 2021 because the price of fuel was killing me in my long owned and beloved 12v Cummins diesel Rams.... i commute 90 miles a day. Its 1998 Jetta AHU 5 speed Anyways the car smokes like a friggen freight train..... since i got it...