alanack's latest activity

• A
    alanack replied to the thread 98 TDI excessive smoke.
    Well for stock turbo, timing, and tune? The car has low miles ~160k but it sat a lot, and it was definitely beat on a bit... i think...
  • A
    Car is running much better now and my fuel economy is consistently 52-55MPG where before it was 41-48 and occasionally above 50...
  • A
    alanack replied to the thread MKIII TDI Reliability.
    I bought my TDIs to save fuel because my trucks werent viable anymore as dailys on a 90 mile commute. They are 12v cummins s so...
  • A
    alanack reacted to ToddA1's post in the thread 98 TDI excessive smoke with Like Like.
    Looking at the IP sprocket face, rotate the sprocket clockwise, to advance. 1 tooth will be all that’s needed. -Todd
  • A
    To be clear routating the pump towards the fire will advances timing.... So to advance timing on the gear/belt I would have to...
  • A
    I always losen the lines after moving the pump to ensure they arent binding or under stress. I did pull the the pump pin. So next...
  • A
    Cam or injection pump? I popped the cam pulley loose, but I left the IP tight.
  • A
    I tell you i most certainly had a one hell of a time, getting this engine timed right. It kept jumping on the flywheel. The only...
  • A
    alanack reacted to Mongler98's post in the thread 98 TDI excessive smoke with Like Like.
    Sounds like the belt was not timmed properly. It's very common if you dont have a loos cam sprocket and a firm IP pin. The IP pin out is...
  • A
    Look closer the tip is mushroomed, valve dropped and beat the nozzle up
  • A
    Yeah i bought the whole metalnerd kid to do the belt. Cam lock, timing pin for the IP ect ect. I read on line that some AHUs need...
  • A
    So the timing was so far retarded it didn't even show on graph. It was very difficult to time, literally had to push the pump as...