Recent content by AK islandr

1. AK islandr

Willing to pay for help in SW Washington

Rich at Fix'Um Haus in Portland has done my timing belt, replaced the fuel pump, replaced my manifold and installed Malone chipping. He and his staff are good folks. I drove from Alaska just to have him do my pump. He has my vote.
  2. AK islandr

Correct Oil

My 03 wagon manual has been moving around using Rotella T6 for 80K with no issues. Rotella is easy to find. Oil level stays at the same fill line between oil changes. My Jetta has only 121K (really) because most miles are long drives when I leave the island. That said, I change my oil once a...
  3. AK islandr

Looking for Mk4 ALH/BEW mechanic in the Seattle area.

I do not know their reputation on VW repairs but Han's Foreign Car sells biodiesel in West Seattle. If I am in Portland OR at Fix Um Haus I buy b99 nearby at Star Oil in Portland or Sequential Fuels in Eugene OR.
  4. AK islandr

Lakeland, FL to Anchorage in a new 2015 Golf Sportwagen

Last time I drove the haul road was 2003. I was living in Fairbanks, the summer days are long, intending just to go over the Arctic Circle near Coldfoot. At that time the road was dirt, some potholes, and an occasional stretch of pavement in the middle of nothing. Frost heaves will do that...
  5. AK islandr

Good ALH and BEW mechanic Seattle area

I have gone to Rich at Fix um haus in Portland OR for all my engine fixes. Now I live on an island and he was worth the drive to get work done. His work on my TDI paid has paid for itself over time. He is fast and good, got me back on the road in just hours. I wouldn't hesitate to go again...
  6. AK islandr

VW shop in south sound/seattle area??

You have probably had the work done by now but I concur going to Fix-U Haus in Portland OR. I drove from SE AK just to have them do work on my 03. Nobody on our island has the tools or experience. The guys there took me asap and had me back on the road home to AK in 2 hours. Each project has...
  7. AK islandr

Alaska to Portland OR for a day

That's right, last October I drove my TDI from SE Alaska to Portland OR for a day then turned around and went back. It was worth it to me. My fuel injector pump was leaking, winter is coming, and our state is restricting ferry service to our island. "Git'er done!" came to mind. Checking with...
  8. AK islandr

starting issue

Thanks, I will check that out. Should I have any concern about the EGR? Another thought I will look at is the glow plugs. I do not know how long they last but current plugs have 38,000 miles. This island does not have much road so I drive about 2,000 miles a year in town until I get off our...
  9. AK islandr

Alaska Road Trip, 2016

If you intend to use AMHS be sure to check ferry schedules online ahead of time. Our state is in a budget crisis and has just announced they are cutting way back on ferry services.
  10. AK islandr

Hard starting issue

Not trouble starting due to cold temperatures. Before any motor issue arose my 2003 TDI wagon has been flawless. A couple years ago Fixum Haus replaced my timing belt and installed Malone chipping. Currently my trusty Jetta has over 105K and I read if I clean the MAF it could help mpg and...
  11. AK islandr

starting issue

Not trouble starting due to cold temperatures. Before any motor issue arose my 2003 TDI wagon has been flawless. A couple years ago Fixum Haus replaced my timing belt and installed Malone chipping. Currently my trusty Jetta has over 105K and I read if I clean the MAF it could help mpg and...
  12. AK islandr

May 18, 1980. St Helens Day

I was scuba diving in Edmonds WA that day. Between dives our group noted the sound of a boom. Before our second dive someone heard on their car radio Mt St Helens had blown. After our second dive we spent the rest of the day watching television reports. Pre blast my company had sealed the...
  13. AK islandr

Interest in attending Sturgeon Bay, WI TDIFest

Gotta see what the island ferry schedule is that time of year. 3,000 miles one-way via the states (lower fuel cost) than touring thru Canada. A maybe from here.
  14. AK islandr

national parks trip

With the dropping fuel prices I expect road trips to increase this summer, i.e. people and traffic. Avoid Yosemite NP in the summer. Traffic and the throngs of people squeezed into that narrow valley is nuts. So are the trails. Beautiful park in the off season. Visit as much of the Olympic...
  15. AK islandr

Thinking about moving to Washington after college, advice needed

So many good opinions, pros and cons, makes for a hard choice. I was born and raised in California, a state I now loathe to even visit. I have always been a left coaster, So. Calif, No Calif, Portland Or, Seattle WA, Fairbanks AK and now SE AK. While living in the states (the lower 48) I...