Recent content by 79TA7.6

1. 79TA7.6

Engine cooling system

So I was driving to work this morning when my low coolant light came on. I have had issues in the past with a slow leak at the t-stat housing, which I thought I fixed by adding a bead of silicone to the flange, so I was not too worried. The temp gauge did not move, and yes I know this is just a...
  2. 79TA7.6

Speedometer fuse

Tuesday after work I went into town to get some groceries. My speedometer and everything was working just fine when I went in the store. When I left I noticed that my speedometer was not working. At first I was not too worried about it as I figured I would fix it when I got home. When I hit the...
  3. 79TA7.6

Boost issues

I have been fighting weird boost issues in my 2003 5 speed alh for a little while now. I was thinking it might have been that my timing was starting to walk a little, but this last weekend I replaced my timing belt, 3rd time since I have owned this car, and used all the proper tools and followed...
  4. 79TA7.6

Starter issues

I had purchased a used starter a few years back with intentions of rebuilding it. I found out that it was an aftermarket starter so I did not want to waste the time on it. I took it all apart and cleaned it and put it away. Last year during the cold, right around zero, I had an issue where my...
  5. 79TA7.6

2003 5 speed shifting issues

A little history first. I have owned my car since 85k miles. It currently has 288k. I change the gear oil every 50k, the last 150k has been with Penzoil Synchromesh. About 150k ago I installed a Dieselgeek short shifter. I drive this car 140 miles per day, usually 4 days a week. The route I take...
  6. 79TA7.6

Buzzken exhaust hitting heat shield

I just installed a new vnt17 and Buzzken 2.5" down pipe fitted to the stock cat back. When I installed the dp it was touching the heat shield just above it. I pushed the shield up a little bit until it was not touching, but at idle it still hits it and is vibrating/rattling like mad. Has anyone...
  7. 79TA7.6

WTB VNT15 turbo for my 2003 jetta

No longer needed. Bought a new one instead. I need a lower mileage turbo for my car. I am not interested in any Chinese crap. Please only quality like garret. There must be zero shaft play as that is the reason I am replacing mine. Please shoot me what you have to offer and a shipping price...
  8. 79TA7.6

Oil change uncovers possible destruction

I am changing the oil in my 2003 Jetta. She has 272k miles. I try to change it every 10k but I am off by about 2k this time around. Anyway, when I pulled the plug I found some metal attached to it. It is a magnetic style plug, but I never imagined I would capture anything like this. Can someone...
  9. 79TA7.6

Rattle in front right

So over the last week I have noticed that my car has developed a nasty sounding rattle in the front right drive train area. This rattle sounds like a heavy metal rattle, almost like something is flopping around. It only does it under no load, no back load conditions. In other works it does not...
  10. 79TA7.6

Do I really want traction control?

I have purchased the new brake controller, MK60, for my car. I did this a few years back but have never had the chance to install it. I really wanted to follow the "Traction Control(ASR)" thread. We bought my wife a newer car, 2006 Dodge Stratus. It has traction control and I cannot stand it. I...
  11. 79TA7.6

Stanadyne Perfomance Formula on sale

I am not sure where everyone normally buys their Stanadyne from, but at my source, used to be Big R but changed its name to North 40, has it on sale for $19.99, normal price is $29.99. This is the half gallon size. I know North 40 is local to my area, about 10 stores in this region, but you...
  12. 79TA7.6

Tricking the throttle

I have been playing around with the throttle while using cruise on my trips back and forth to work, 70 miles each way. If I leave my foot on the accelerator, 25% according to Torque, my mileage increases significantly according to Torque, which has been pretty accurate for the last 8 months...
  13. 79TA7.6

What am I doing wrong?

I keep getting a leak at my thermostat housing. I am torquing the bolts to the correct sped, I clean the area as best I can. The last time I even took a little emery cloth in case there were some rough spots I was not seeing. I replace the housing and o-ring about twice a year. This is getting...
  14. 79TA7.6

Mystery bolts

I pulled my skid plate off yesterday to do some work and I found two extra bolts laying on top of it. They have a 13mm head and look to be about 35mm long, though I did not measure them. Now a few months ago I replaced the timing belt and the clutch. I looked around the trans and did not see...
  15. 79TA7.6

Tires for lots of gravel use

I figured this would be the best place to ask this question as it is neither an upgrade, nor generation specific. I drive a lot of gravel road. Of my 140 mile daily round trip I am on gravel for a minimum of 15 miles, this is just if I do not have to make a run back into town for something. At...