Recent content by 79TA7.6

1. 79TA7.6

Looking to replace my ALH

This last December I blew the head gasket in my 2003 Jetta with 385k miles. I have been contemplating this entire time about fixing it or replacing it. If I do replace it, it will be with a newer, 2010+ golf or Jetta. I have pulled the head and #1 cylinder looks perfect, #4 decent but 2 and 3...
  2. 79TA7.6

Foamy coolant

How likely is it that the head was damaged? The temp never got high enough to move the gauge, and yes I know these are dummy gauges. The light was on for literally 5 minutes of driving in maybe 25 degree weather. I know cast iron heads are more prone to heat issues, but I have no idea about...
  3. 79TA7.6

Foamy coolant

I bought many years ago to use on an engine that had a timing belt failure. It was the request of the owner. I think I bought it from CascadeGerman, Aaron. At that time there must not have been many in use cause I was told to only expect it to last less than 200k. Again, this was probably 10...
  4. 79TA7.6

Foamy coolant

EGR has been deleted for 250k miles. Turbo was replaced about 100k miles ago with a vnt17. I have not checked for play in it though. I do have horrible smoke on startup so the guide seals most definitely need to be replaced. I will see if I can find a coolant tester. As for after market heads...
  5. 79TA7.6

Foamy coolant

I want to thank you all for the info, and direction of sorts. I am leaning towards keeping the 2003 just because it is only my commuter. I only run it back and forth to work and errands if I have any coming home from work. The drive is 65 miles one way, pretty much all back country roads. I...
  6. 79TA7.6

What did you do to your MKIV today?

Possibly blew a head gasket. 385K miles, toast synchros, all body/bushings are toast, starting to rust out. I swore I was going to drive this thing till the wheels fell off. Now I am contemplating if I want to fix it, or look into a newer TDI. Been a decent cor for the past 13 years, right up...
  7. 79TA7.6

Foamy coolant

I do not have scan gauge, but I do have torque pro and a dongle I can use. I will have to check that out. As for other leaks, I am sure there are no major leaks. I was doing just fine until my lower hose got a hole rubbed in it. I am trying to justify redoing the head. 385K miles, the synchros...
  8. 79TA7.6

Foamy coolant

This is my worry. Guess I should just get me a pressure tester and see what it tells me.
  9. 79TA7.6

Foamy coolant

2003, 385k miles, EGR and cooler deleted. Last week on my way home I blew a radiator hose, well rubbed a hole in it. Third time doing that from not checking after reinstalling something to make sure it is not rubbing. Anyway, got it fixed at a buddies then drove home 65 miles. Parked it for the...
  10. 79TA7.6

2003 5 speed issues

It has been a very long time since I have been on the forums. For the last couple of years I have had a hard time hitting third and fourth. To the point where I would have to double clutch when down shifting. A couple weeks ago I could not get third unless I was rev matching and NOT using the...
  11. 79TA7.6

Engine cooling system

I had thought about the heater core cooling the coolant too much so I drove home last night with the fan off once the cabin got warm enough. I did not think about the o-ring maybe causing a non perfect seal, therefore allowing the housing to not sit flush. This makes perfect sense.
  12. 79TA7.6

Engine cooling system

Thanks Nero. I checked this morning and my overflow bottle is being filled with hot coolant from the small line going into it. Water pump is fine. I have changed the coolant many times on this car, the last being 15k miles ago when I did the timing belt. Water pump was replaced new at that time...
  13. 79TA7.6

Engine cooling system

So I was driving to work this morning when my low coolant light came on. I have had issues in the past with a slow leak at the t-stat housing, which I thought I fixed by adding a bead of silicone to the flange, so I was not too worried. The temp gauge did not move, and yes I know this is just a...
  14. 79TA7.6

Speedometer fuse

So it turns out that it was the #7 fuse. Guess I just could not read the damn picture right. I checked my backup lights and got nothing. Hopefully tomorrow I will have time to dig into it. Spent all day fixing fences that the cows tore down. BTW, what is the VSS?
  15. 79TA7.6

Speedometer fuse

It is a 10 amp fuse, but the picture diagram showed it being for the gauge cluster. I did not even think about the backup lights. My headlights and backup lights are the only thing I have modified electrical wise. Just a wire harness for my HID lights and a jumper for my backup lights as I am...