Recent content by 68Vdub

1. 6

Totally retarded... -7.4KW

+ 0.5KW and happy. So I knew I was off a tooth or two because I was maxed out in adjustment with the bolts as far to the right of the slots as they would go and still had a retarded timing of -7.4KW. So I probably shouldn't be posting this, but this is what I did: With access to the cam...
  2. 6

Nate, sounds like I did the same thing you did. Yes mine does look like the picture. I'm in the middle of doing exactly what you had mentioned. One tooth should give me enough addjustment judging by the "small movements make a big adjustment" comment I've read quite a bit. I'm still a...
  3. 6

Thanks for the words of encouragement Scurvy... I bought both timing belt kits and tools from Diesel Geek and did use all the supplied lock down tools during the job. I did rotate the engine twice by hand when I was done, but did not re-install the lock downs as my instructions did not...
  4. 6

2005 tdi Jetta PD BEW 185k manual trans. This is my second timing belt job on this car, both without VCDS... I know. Thanks to a fellow TDI Club member, I was able to borrow his cable and confirm what I thought was wrong. I've been having hard start, strange power, worse fuel mileage...
  5. 6

No Boost. Out of options.

Judging by the amount of tire rubber I left in the parking lot, I believe I fixed it :D !! This may be a long confusing conclusion to this saga but I will tell it anyway. This is what I did: I compared Pitboy's diagram to my car and checked off the items as I tested them to see if they held...
  6. 6

Might have some good news!!! I plugged the vacuum gauge into the nipple between the brake servo and the tandem pump and started the car. The gauge shot to about 20" hg and then crept up to about 23" at idle!!! I think I can call the pump good/marginal. I will now be isolating the rest of the...
  7. 6

As far as isolation goes, I could test the vacuum pump by removing the line that comes off of the vacuum connection (item #9), completely removing every vacuum controlled component from the system, and plumb my vacuum tester to that port, start the car and see what the pump is putting out. This...
  8. 6

Holy cow guys!! Thanks for all the info. The drawings are wonderful. All I have to work with is the little sticker above the radiator. I can't afford a Bentley's yet...saving for parts that may need to be replaced. I brought the car with me today to work and will be pulling it into the shop...
  9. 6

Thanks guys. Curious Chris: If I start the car, plug the vacuum tester into the vnt actuator and give it some vacuum while watching my boost gauge, I should be able to see boost? This would tell me that I have a vacuum leak not allowing the rod to move far enough to create the requested...
  10. 6

Okay, so the guy with the pro-diag was a member of Audi World and knew absolutely nothing about vdub's, especially TDI's. He was only able to scan the codes and clear them for me. Basically he confirmed everything I already new. Code 16683 is the only one that I can get to reset while driving...
  11. 6

I pulled the low pressure side hose off the turbo and stuck my finger in there. I can feel the fins and I gave them a spin. It feels very smooth, no catching or grinding. I did notice last night after putting the whole thing back together...16 hours later, that about 3 seconds after...
  12. 6

By vacuum canister you mean the round pod looking ball with one vacuum line on it? I would think the best place to check for true vacuum would be from the check valve nipple on the brake booster hose coming from the vacuum pump? How much vacuum should I see there at idle and at certain rpms...
  13. 6

Okay. I tested voltage at the N75 connector. 11.5 volts, normal. Attached 12 volt supply to N75. Turned on car, put my finger on the acuator rod and plugged in the 12 volt supply. The rod moved about 1/8", about the same amount as when the connector was plugged in. I unplugged the power...
  14. 6

Thanks all. I don't have a mityvac, yet. But I used an air cylinder to create vacuum. I hooked this rig to the vacuum line on the turbo actuator to make sure that it moved and held. It sure did. I also just checked all the fuses in the car, all good. So if I pull the electrical connector...
  15. 6

Hi all. 2005 mk4 1.9 TDI PD 62k. I have no boost. I can't hear the turbo spooling and I can't feel it set me back in the seat anymore. It happened suddenly, but with no loud noises or racket. The engine sounds normal (aside from no turbo whine). This is what I have done so far: 1...