Recent content by 2015GSW

1. 2

Gas quickly catching up to diesel price

If you look at post 32 and 33 this thread was dead for 7 years 5 months but then brought back to life a month ago. In Utah diesel is about 30 cents more per gallon than regular unleaded gasoline in the summer and about 60 cents more per gallon in the winter. 2 months ago at Costco diesel was...
  2. 2

Renewable diesel

It sounds like renewable diesel is unpopular on older TDIs. In my case with a 2015 GSW, should I buy renewable diesel at Propel when I drive through California (if the price is the same as regular diesel) or avoid it?
  3. 2

Renewable diesel

I was reading about renewable diesel recently. It is a low carbon drop-in ULSD replacement unlike biodiesel. It is available in California at Propel stations where they call it HPR. It sells for $4 a gallon which is slightly higher than regular ULSD. Has anyone here tried it...
  4. 2

infotainment display issue

When I google 5G0035878AX the results show a $400 part and when I google 5G0035878AU the results show a $150 part. I don't know how they program the ECM or the CP to accept the new part when they swap it.
  5. 2

They replaced 5G0035878AU with 5G0035878AX for free I just got it back from the Cutrubus dealer in Layton Utah. They fixed it for free as a good will repair. I asked the service advisor if these units are glitchy and she said somewhat, mine was the third one the dealer has replaced in the 2015...
  6. 2

Discounted TDI oil locator thread

Mobil 1 ESP X1 0w30 for $4 a quart after rebate! This deal is back again. Mobil 1 ESP X1 0w30 MOB121218 for $6 per quart at Napa Auto Parts until August 31st. They don't stock this at many locations but they can ship it for free from a warehouse to your local Napa the next day. Napa also has...
  7. 2

Thanks for the offer. The dealer service guy said I am so close to the end of the warranty that they are going to replace it for "good will" and he told me not to buy anything.
  8. 2

I disconnected the battery for a hour but the screen is still blank. I think it's the backlight because the touchscreen still responds. I could buy a used 5G0919605 from eBay for $100 but I would still have to get the dealer to unlock it and maybe they would refuse to. There is some kind of...
  9. 2

Mk7 Baby Tank 800 Mile Club

Good job. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this recently but hypermiler Waynes Gerdes did 1014 miles indicated on 13.627 gal on a 2015 GSW TDI 6MT. To get there he drove 80 miles beyond DTE 0. That was the summer of 2015 right before dieselgate. If the manual transmission is 10% more...
  10. 2

Yesterday the infotainment screen in my 2015 Golf Sportwagen went black. The "brains" in the glove box still work, for example I can play a CD. The touchscreen responds to touches, but since the screen is all black I have to guess where the buttons would be. I have owned the car for less than 4...
  11. 2

2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2

The car was a buyback with Michigan title and phase 1 completed in 2017. I bought it April 2018. Post 331 is helpful up to a point. There is no mention of a phase 2 deadline, which does not necessarily mean that there is no deadline. Some people would wait until year 2025 or 160K miles to get...
  12. 2

2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2

Deadline for phase 2? I have a 2015 GSW TDI DSG with 30000 miles. I want to wait until 2019 to have phase 2a and 2b done together, but I don't want to find out in 2019 that VW is no longer doing phase 2 work once the dieselgate settlement period ends. My local dealer Strong VW in Salt Lake...
  13. 2

2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2

2015 TDI DSG phase 2 wait until 40K miles? I bought a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI in April. This was a buyback car that had a Michigan title. I called the Strong VW service department in Salt Lake City. Their phase 2 guy "Chip" said the computer will tell him if the A kit and/or B kit needs to be...
  14. 2

Discounted TDI oil locator thread

Mobil1 ESP 0w30 for $4 a quart after rebate! There is a great deal on Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 for $6 per quart at Napa Auto Parts until May 31st. Went I went to a local Napa yesterday, they were out of stock at that store but they brought it from another store 15 miles away this morning. If you don't...