Gas run in tdi

Dbs

TDI
1999.5 Jetta sedan
Looking at a 2004 Jetta tdi that had gas run in it by mistake. Owner reports 2 mechanics told him it only needs new injectors in the pump duse to run correctly. Is this likely true.

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
is it running now? injectors are like $700 each. X 4

Yes it is true that likely only the injectors were damaged from gas. Tandem pump prob fine.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Luckily the 2004 Jetta has a lift pump.

Unhook the feed line from the tank going to the fuel filter, pump tank empty (key in run position), reconnect line, pour 2 gallons diesel into tank along with a 4x dose of lubricity additive, change fuel filter, prefill it with diesel, start car, report back.

Dbs

TDI
1999.5 Jetta sedan
Presumably the current owner did something like that. They report it does run but loses power after about 12 miles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sounds like it's going into limp mode. May not be related to the misfueling. I'd get someone to diagnose the power loss more thoroughly.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
My daughter put gas in my 2005 Beetle BEW. It died after driving 100 yards. I towed it home, completely emptied the fuel tank, added some diesel, ran the lift pump to circulate everything, emptied that fuel (now diesel/gas mix), added more diesel with lots of optilube, and started it up. It has run fine ever since.