first time towing with 2012 Touareg TDI

Willman67

TDI
2011 TDI JSW
Gang

I have a 2012 Touareg TDI Sport with around 72k miles- runs like a champ. I'm considering using her to tow my classic El Camino on a trailer to a car show for around 1500 miles each way. It came with the tow hitch and wiring already installed.

I am asking the group for suggestions on preparatory maintenance/servicing and any tips for long hauling from those who may have done this before. She is always up to date with factory service schedule and I just installed new brakes and rotors all around, and the tires are new (less than 2000 miles).

Thanks

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
If your transmission is serviced, sounds like you are ready to go service wise. I assume an El Camino (hopefully 327,350 or 396) weighs about 3500 lbs and 2000 lbs for the trailer. My 2014 is rated to pull 7700 lbs. I pull a 17 foot Boston Whaler that weighs about 2500 lbs and it just plays with it. I get away with no trailer brakes but this much weight will cause a braking issue I believe.

Willman67

TDI
2011 TDI JSW
there is no scheduled service for the transmission! I asked and was informed that you don't even need to change the fluid and filter on transmission........not sure I believe it however

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
That's what my dealership told me for 3 years then they changed their mind.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
You are going to want to have a set of brakes on the rig. It's especially needed for hill descents and highway stopping power. Forget what the dealer says,he won't pay for a tranny issue if it happens on the trip. They will Shrug and walk away. lol

mainezman

TDI
TOUAREG Gen 1
My 2011 LUX does not have a tow set-up SOooo what should I doto install a tow rig. Go to dealer -or an RV guy ?

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
My 2011 LUX does not have a tow set-up SOooo what should I doto install a tow rig. Go to dealer -or an RV guy ?
Do you mean it doesn't have a receiver hitch or does but not trailer brakes? U Haul dealers sometime install hitches.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I would say go to a dealer,they know the car structure and can put in a proper hitch the you can have confidence in. It's a pretty important item to have set up properly. After market hitches usually have a lower tow weight restriction.

VW_Driver

TDI
there is no scheduled service for the transmission! I asked and was informed that you don't even need to change the fluid and filter on transmission........not sure I believe it however
Check the owners manual. In my case, I ask two dealers and got two different answers. Lifetime vs 100K. I decided to read the manual and neither dealer was correct. Its 60K (GTI).

VW_Driver

TDI
I think VW discontinued. Two part to the VW system for the Touareg. The Hitch and Computer Module. The module interface with the engine, transmission, ABS, and brakes. Yep, german engineering. :)

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I don't even understand what everyone is saying.
IF you want to tow a certain weight, depending on your local laws, you require brakes on the trailer past a certain weight.
There is no hoping that the trailer has brakes.... it either does, or it doesn't.
If it's something like a boat trailer, they typically have surge brakes, but these can also be found on car haulers, dumps, etc.
Most trailers will have electric brakes instead, and for those, you'll need to add a brake controller.
If you don't even have a trailer hitch, then that's a whole other story..... you'll need one of those, wiring, module, and brake controller if you want to tow something with electric brakes...... if you just want to hitch up to something but don't care about anything else than a physical connection, then all you need is a hitch..... if you want some other version in-between those two, you'll need various parts of what's already mentioned.

VW_Driver

TDI
Per VW document......
Trailer Towing Quick Tip Atlas, Touareg, & Tiguan
MC-10157362-9999.pdf

Max trailer weight: 7700lbs Trailer w/ brake
Max trailer weight: 1650lbs Trailer w/o brake
Max tongue weight: 617lb
2” Receiver

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Per VW document......
MC-10157362-9999.pdf

2” Receiver
People with Golfs have pulled more than that....

Last edited:

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Per VW document......
MC-10157362-9999.pdf

2” Receiver
Sounds like a reasonable weight. I pull a 2500 lb boat without trailer brakes and it does fine but wouldn't want any more.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Is your boat trailer single axle? If so then it legally can be towed without trailer brakes.
IMBM but my understanding is fed DOT mandates any multi axle trailer have brakes on all wheels (used to be only 1 of the two axles, changed 10-15 years ago).
The brakes on the Touareg are designed to stop it and a moderate tow. An El Camino and suitable double axle trailer will likely be above 5k, definitely need brakes on the trailer to safely stop that.

CliffR

TDI
2011 Touareg
Several points:
1. Not all electric trailer brakes need a separate controller. Some are controlled through hitch electric connections and work very well on 4000 lb. trailers or less. I have no experience with heavier trailers.
2. Your Touareg TDI onboard computer may object if you try to put any new electronics in the system without activation. The onboard computer constantly monitors the circuits for unexpected draws on current.
3. An already built-in trailer system may not have been activated and will not have any power until the dealer (or possibly VCSD) activates it on the computer. Don't do like I did and go to pick up the trailer thinking that in 30 minutes or less I would be on my way.
4. Many trailer haulers I know keep the maximum towing weight of their trailers 15 to 20 % below maximum rated towing weight of their vehicle.

Happy hauling!

Willman67

TDI
2011 TDI JSW
I do have the factory tow package but never used it. I think I may be just driving my El Camino to the show- just got her tip top and she's ready to go

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Towing capacity is stated by the hitch maker, the weight a tow vehicle can handle is stated by the maker, safety dictates going by the state regulations.
Common sense says get brakes for anything over 3000 lbs if you are going highway speeds. I tow locally 30 mph average and that's about as high as I wold fell safe towing without trailer brakes. If you don't believe it get your rig up to 65 in a deserted road and hit the brakes . You will be surprised..stay safe.