What did you do to your MKIV today?

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd

Well I added Sound deadening to the roof yesterday, also decided to install a new head unit. While removing the radio cage, i said WTH might as well remove the entire dashboard and fix the climate control blend doors. Looking at everything the foam is probably 75% intact, no point in waiting till it’s completely deteriorated. I brought the repair kit last year at the first sign of foam.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Gonna do the heater core…..almost there.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta

Well I added Sound deadening to the roof yesterday, also decided to install a new head unit. While removing the radio cage, i said WTH might as well remove the entire dashboard and fix the climate control blend doors. Looking at everything the foam is probably 75% intact, no point in waiting till it’s completely deteriorated. I brought the repair kit last year at the first sign of foam.
What is this repair kit? I just did the foil tape trick on mine. Worked pretty well.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH

Going after the door lock module and got to cut away the sound matt from around the panel and over all of the bolts😁 hoping the switch is just dirty

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH

Oooh, shiny.

Today was two steps forward, one step back, but overall good progress. Pulled the overflow bottle and the fuel filter and unbolted the PS reservoir so I could get to the engine mount. Removed the engine mount, then pulled the water pump so I could get the broken rear timing cover out. Installed the new rear timing cover, then installed a new water pump, and installed the engine mount again -- can't put the timing belt on with no cylinder head...

Pulled the new head out of the box, and installed new exhaust studs and the little threaded plug. Installed the turbo/exhaust manifold. Pulled the intake manifold out of the waste fuel drum where it has been soaking for a few days -- magically clean! Washed it up good and dried it with a heat gun, then installed the intake and the EGR cooler on the head. Cleaned up the block surface, and set the engine to TDC. Dropped the head on the block and torqued it down.

Next weekend will be less productive because we are having a 20th anniversary party for the shop on Saturday. I might get in on Sunday to put the front cover on and install the timing belt.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Perhaps I should have said "cost" rather than "complication."
Have like $200.00 into mine. I got it off a fellow member, with a nice harness. But it could all be had from a junk yard and a few wires, relay and your basically done.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
No, not unless it leak, usually mk4 OEM cores, are far better than the replacements.
Yeah….I’ve had 3 OEM cores leak on the family fleet…..

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From what I’ve read it seams to be a common problem…. All the cars were built in different countries , one was from Germany , one from Mexico and one from Brazil…..
I just plan on it when it starts fogging the interior windows and you start getting that sweet smell.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Wow it must be the luck of the draw, I’ve had one core leak in almost 40 years of owning vw/Audi’s . Probably about 8 years ago my A6 core let go and burnt the sh!t out of my leg lol.
Same here. Mine was on my rabbit pickup and it actually exploded on me. It was while I was a courtin my now wife and we were heading into an event and in a long line of traffic. Suddenly we couldn't see because of all the steam. Thankfully it also went to my side and I was wearing boots.
Yeah, she still married me. Maybe partially because I fixed it in the parking lot with what I had in my pockets... but maybe it was unrelated...

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
From what I’ve read it seams to be a common problem…. All the cars were built in different countries , one was from Germany , one from Mexico and one from Brazil…..
I just plan on it when it starts fogging the interior windows and you start getting that sweet smell.
Every VW I own was built/assemble in Germany (WVW. And I’ve own to many to coun. Except one, my 84 rabbit Gti sport.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
Ordered new Cooper CS5’s. got more than 90K out of the old set and they’re still good to work as spares. Gonna ditch the steelies and put the OEM aluminum ones on. Cars been sitting 4 years so their not that smooth.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Wanted to swap injectors, so I could send the set in the car put for nozzles, but realized the spare set I got was off a 03, so ordered stuff to make an adapter up.
Shifted to getting the gauge pod set up. I printed several versions and decided to use the one thay came with the gauge and mount it on the dash. Got a glow junk 3 in 1, didn't feel like spending the money on auto meter gauges. The glow junk is a 60mm instead of the 52mm I was planning on. But it has Pyro, boost and fuel pressure all in one gauge. I'll verify with my test gauges, but I'd imagine it will be fine. Plus side it keeps things tidy.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
Found a bunch of crud on the inside of the drivers door behind the regulator, looks like something sprayed upwards into the door?
Front

Back

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Shifted to getting the gauge pod set up. I printed several versions and decided to use the one thay came with the gauge and mount it on the dash. Got a glow junk 3 in 1, didn't feel like spending the money on auto meter gauges. The glow junk is a 60mm instead of the 52mm I was planning on. But it has Pyro, boost and fuel pressure all in one gauge. I'll verify with my test gauges, but I'd imagine it will be fine. Plus side it keeps things tidy.

Ohhh…..I’d be interested on what you used…..I could find any decent fuel gauges let alone any gauge pod.
Unless I didn’t word the search right.

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta,2011 Tdi sportwgon
In the last several weeks I replaced the muffler, Lf wheel bearing, rotors, and pads all around, chased a Maf sensor code, bought a set of Gti wheels with tires in great shape, bought an ecu with immo off, and Malone stage 2, Borla replica headlights, new grill, new shift boot, and today I ordered a kerma tdi turbo back stainless system, gotta cool it for a few to keep the peace at home

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Ohhh…..I’d be interested on what you used…..I could find any decent fuel gauges let alone any gauge pod.
Unless I didn’t word the search right.
Do you mean the stl files or the gauge I ended up using? If the latter it's a glow shift 3 in 1. Pyro, boost and pressure (I'll use it for fuel pressure.) I actually did a really nice double 52mm vent pod for the light switch side vent. Was just cheaper to get the glow shift 3 in 1 then getting 3 automated gauges.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Didn't get to do much this evening. Working over time sucks except for the pay. Made up a fuel pressure gauge adapter, then realized I should just get new fuel line since it's of unknown age and some of it looks a bit rough. Hopefully this weekend is decent out and I can get to swapping parts out. New turbo should be here Friday if fed ex doesn't give me the run around again.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Do you mean the stl files or the gauge I ended up using? If the latter it's a glow shift 3 in 1. Pyro, boost and pressure (I'll use it for fuel pressure.) I actually did a really nice double 52mm vent pod for the light switch side vent. Was just cheaper to get the glow shift 3 in 1 then getting 3 auto meter gauges.
Here's 2 of the gauge pods/ mount I ran off on the 3d printer. Carbon fiber PETG. Actually very happy with how they turned out.
Kinda mad with the first one. 15 hour print time and that was the third one till I got it right. Won't be using it.
I'll get a few pics of th le glow shift once it's done and wired up.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Damn that’s cool !

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Here's 2 of the gauge pods/ mount I ran off on the 3d printer. Carbon fiber PETG. Actually very happy with how they turned out.
Kinda mad with the first one. 15 hour print time and that was the third one till I got it right. Won't be using it.
I'll get a few pics of th le glow shift once it's done and wired up.
Looks good! After all my testing, carbon fiber nylon with a post print anneal is my go-to for parts that need strength. PETG prints really nice too once you get the settings dialed and is kind of my cheaper do it all filament. Haven't tried the carbon PETG yet since I seem to have found a virtually indestructible and easy to print combo.

Did you design or did you pull the STL Files from somewhere?

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Looks good! After all my testing, carbon fiber nylon with a post print anneal is my go-to for parts that need strength. PETG prints really nice too once you get the settings dialed and is kind of my cheaper do it all filament. Haven't tried the carbon PETG yet since I seem to have found a virtually indestructible and easy to print combo.

Did you design or did you pull the STL Files from somewhere?
I found an stl for the vent. Cad has come a long way since I used it last, so it's been a struggle for me to get back into it. Basic stuff like that pod I can handle pretty well. I mean I have auto cad v1 on a cd somewhere around here. Got fusion 360 free version, not real intuitive. There's a few other programs I'd like to try out.
I'm just printing on a ender running klipper so I'm pretty happy with my results.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I found an stl for the vent. Cad has come a long way since I used it last, so it's been a struggle for me to get back into it. Basic stuff like that pod I can handle pretty well. I mean I have auto cad v1 on a cd somewhere around here. Got fusion 360 free version, not real intuitive. There's a few other programs I'd like to try out.
I'm just printing on a ender running klipper so I'm pretty happy with my results.
It takes a bit to get used to Fusion360 if you've come from other CAD systems. I used NX at work but have been in CREO the last 7 years

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
Ordered new Cooper CS5’s. got more than 90K out of the old set and they’re still good to work as spares. Gonna ditch the steelies and put the OEM aluminum ones on. Cars been sitting 4 years so their not that smooth.
EDIT:
Bought ultra touring instead of grand touring so i will only get 50K instead of 90K. What a bummer.

Tomorrow I’m getting a front wheel alignment.