3000 RPM at 65 MPH problem?

TDI
2002 ALH
Hello,
I’m new to the forum and relative new TDI owner and I can definitely appreciate all the info folks along around on here. The car is a 2002 VW Jetta ALH with a 4 speed 01M transmission.
I bought this car from a kid that told me he was sure it was a valve body is different and that’s why I hit 3000 RPM going 65-70 MPH. He said it was for someone looking for fuel economy or something rather, does that sound right? Doesn’t seem right to me!
I changed the fluid and filter the other day and it looked like it hadn’t been done in a while. So that made me feel a little better, but still same issue. Any advice or info would. Thanks in advance

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The fuel economy thing is funny. Is is shifting up through all 4 gears? Has the transmission been swapped? If so, you might have one from a gasoline engine in the car. Gearing is wrong. If that's the case you'll have to find an auto from a TDI, or swap to a manual as noted above. If you do a swap be sure to get a TDI manual transmission or you'll have the same issue as you do now.

TDI
2002 ALH
Thanks for the input, I actually cannot seem to find the 01M stamp or the 096 anywhere on the top. I did find some combo of letter/numbers, but can’t seem to make it out to try and rule that out.

TDI
2002 ALH
Is the 02j the 5 speed that people are replacing the Auto’s with? At least that’s from what I understand. I am going to start looking at swapping, so if you know anyone that is trying to get rid of one..they have a buyer here! Thanks again for all the responses!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You'll need a bunch of stuff: Transmission, axles, starter, pedals, power steering line, and probably some items I'm forgetting.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
Is the 02j the 5 speed that people are replacing the Auto’s with? At least that’s from what I understand. I am going to start looking at swapping, so if you know anyone that is trying to get rid of one..they have a buyer here! Thanks again for all the responses!
Yes 02j 5 speed from 99-05 Jetta/golf/beetle tdi, and the ones from 04-05 have a slightly taller 5th gear that reduces cruising rpm (slightly)

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Does it appear to shift normally right up to cruising speed of 65-70 mph?
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? I have come across this on the auto trans cars.
If the fuel filter is maxed out and the controllers do not feel as though the engine can come up with the torque, (based upon accelerator position, possibly MAF readings, etc...), it will hold back from upshifting to a higher gear. Just something else to check anyway if you've not yet done the maintenance.
If it is a diesel trans it may not be shifting into overdrive.
You would have to do some digging with VCDS to get a sense of what is going on.

But, whatever is going on, a manual swap, if you are up for it, would be a good thing to do if you love the car. 01M = (n)

Last edited:

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta 1.9 Diesel GLS , Five Speed Standard Shift
Since your on the subject my 2003 Jetta TDI has a five speed standard. First gear is so low you could climb a tree . Its so low I can probably only get to 15 or 20mph before I have to shift to second. Sometimes at a red lighst I almost get rear ended before I get into second gear. Is that normal for this car. I would think I would be able to hit 25-35mph before I had to shift

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
3000 RPM in 1st is about 20 MPH. That's usually where I shift, unless the engine is cold or I'm in traffic. I have a taller 5th in my ALH so 65 MPH in 5th is just over 2000 RPM. 3000 RPM is a little over 90.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta 1.9 Diesel GLS , Five Speed Standard Shift
3000 RPM in 1st is about 20 MPH. That's usually where I shift, unless the engine is cold or I'm in traffic. I have a taller 5th in my ALH so 65 MPH in 5th is just over 2000 RPM. 3000 RPM is a little over 90.
Then that seems about right. When at 70 Im turning 2600. Usually thats where I set the cruise. Usually when Im doing 90 Im passing . Will have to check the rpms for 90. Thanks for the info.

TDI
2002 ALH
Does it appear to shift normally right up to cruising speed of 65-70 mph?
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? I have come across this on the auto trans cars.
If the fuel filter is maxed out and the controllers do not feel as though the engine can come up with the torque, (based upon accelerator position, possibly MAF readings, etc...), it will hold back from upshifting to a higher gear. Just something else to check anyway if you've not yet done the maintenance.
If it is a diesel trans it may not be shifting into overdrive.
You would have to do some digging with VCDS to get a sense of what is going on.

But, whatever is going on, a manual swap, if you are up for it, would be a good thing to do if you love the car. 01M = (n)
I get a good sense that it shifts to overdrive, but to be safe I would love to be able to figure it out for sure on VCDS, is that just something that shops have?
I replaced the fuel filter and lines like 200 miles ago so I think it’s good there, but I appreciate that advice!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
3000 RPM going 65-70 MPH ....... it is not in Overdrive.

TDI
2002 ALH
Are any of the letters you can find on the case "FDB?
That would indicate a diesel trans.
Well after using a wire brush and some brake cleaner I finally found the faint letter code and it is not a diesel trans. Letter is FDF which after searching goes to a 2.0l gasser! Thank you everyone that has responded. I was thinking of looking on FB marketplace for a used FDB code trans(not enough loot for the swap yet) I don’t want to just half ass a swap either. Anyone on here have a link to or have a diesel auto they are willing to part with?
I can’t seem to find one! Anything helps.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
You sure you don’t just want to drop a 5 speed into it ?

JETaah

TDI
I don't know if this is against the forum rules but here is a link to a TDIclub registered vendor that ships what you need in one lump.
You even have the choice of upgrading to a 6 sp manual while you are at it.

Here is another:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Unless you have it all and are willing to l

you got one your trying to offload?
Lol. No …. But for the amount of work you’d be doing swapping out the incorrect auto for a correct one for a little extra work you can have a nice 5 speed.

All the parts you need can be gotten off a gasser except the transmission. When I did mine I kept the auto axles and replaced the transmission output flanges Fromm 100mm to the 108mm that I believe the 1.8l gassers have.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
Lol. No …. But for the amount of work you’d be doing swapping out the incorrect auto for a correct one for a little extra work you can have a nice 5 speed.

All the parts you need can be gotten off a gasser except the transmission. When I did mine I kept the auto axles and replaced the transmission output flanges Fromm 100mm to the 108mm that I believe the 1.8l gassers have.
Yes, and the automatics don't last nearly as long as manuals, so likely the replacement auto will have issues down the road sometime, where the 5 (or 6) speed swap would probably last a lot longer especially if you're increasing power.
There was a kit around here for 1000 on Craigslist that had everything needed including the 02j transmission, probably cheaper to source the parts from a local scrapyard

markdave

TDI
tdi 1.6
Hello,
I’m new to the forum and relative new TDI owner and I can definitely appreciate all the info folks along around on here. The car is a 2002 VW Jetta ALH with a 4 speed 01M transmission.
I bought this car from a kid that told me he was sure it was a valve body is different and that’s why I hit 3000 RPM going 65-70 MPH. He said it was for someone looking for fuel economy or something rather, does that sound right? Doesn’t seem right to me!
I changed the fluid and filter the other day and it looked like it hadn’t been done in a while. So that made me feel a little better, but still same issue. Any advice or info would. Thanks in advance
If so, you might have one from a gasoline engine in the car. Gearing is wrong. If that's the case you'll have to find an auto from a TDI, or swap to a manual as noted above.

Last edited:

JETaah

TDI
If so, you might have one from a gasoline engine in the car. Gearing is wrong. If that's the case you'll have to find an auto from a TDI, or swap to a manual as noted above.
A little late to the party ^:)

Last edited: