Alternator pulley

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed manual
Hey guys my battery light was on this morning and my serpentine belt tensioner has been broken wobbling around. Would this cause a battery to be under charged, along with my cv axel bearings falling out this morning then my car started running half power before i got home, abs started flashing slooow and air bag light came on... turned the car off. Now its dead. I have some work to do. Any advice on what to replace in terms of the drive belt system and the difficulty?

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Hey guys my battery light was on this morning and my serpentine belt tensioner has been broken wobbling around. Would this cause a battery to be under charged, along with my cv axel bearings falling out this morning then my car started running half power before i got home, abs started flashing slooow and air bag light came on... turned the car off. Now its dead. I have some work to do. Any advice on what to replace in terms of the drive belt system and the difficulty?
Did you take a look at your serpentine belt? A failed alternator pulley will cause the tensioner to "wobble" and often will cause the belt to break..it can also break the alternator shaft or in rare occasions on these, it can freewheel and cause a no charge.
I assume this is on your 2000 Jetta TDI? That one isn't a very easy one to do the alternator or the clutch pulley, but it is possible still. I would do some looking, make sure the serpentine belt is there still first, then check for power at the alternator as another common failure is the fuse box on top of the battery. The alternator cable gets high resistance and heats the fuse box up melting it and causing there to be no charge as well.
If the clutch pulley has gone too far, the whole alternator will need replacement, as it can damage the shaft.
Also a good thing to note, don't get an aftermarket alternator or clutch pulley. The difficulty of the job combined with how long the aftermarket ones last (often less than a year) as well as the relatively low cost of OEM parts, its really a no-brainer.
An oem clutch pulley is $35, and a remanufactured alternator with all oem parts is less than $200.

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Now the car won't accelerate at all or do anything with the clutch out. Is this because of the failed cv axel or did i ruin the transmission? The serpentine belt is still there along with the tensioner bouncing around.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Now the car won't accelerate at all or do anything with the clutch out. Is this because of the failed cv axel or did i ruin the transmission? The serpentine belt is still there along with the tensioner bouncing around.
If the cv axle is shelled out, it wouldn't drive. Check and see if it's spinning at the transmission
If the alternator is still spinning, its likely either the alternator is failed or the wiring at the fuse box is bad.

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't see any issues with the fuse box on top of the battery and after sitting for a while it had enough power to start again after it was completely dead.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Hmm, I would wonder if the alternator was locking up. That'll keep it from cranking and will also not charge. Pull the serpentine belt off and spin the alternator and pther.components and see if they're rough.

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm, I would wonder if the alternator was locking up. That'll keep it from cranking and will also not charge. Pull the serpentine belt off and spin the alternator and pther.components and see if they're rough.
Will do. Thank you for your knowledge. You guys are savors

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
How the hell do we go from wobbling belt to cv axle balls falling out??????

How many OTHER problems is this car experiencing?????
Wow.............

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The electrical related issues ar likely caused by a seal or failing alternator including the airbag light. The cv issues are a separate problem, and yes a cv coming apart will leave you stranded.

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
How the hell do we go from wobbling belt to cv axle balls falling out??????

How many OTHER problems is this car experiencing?????
Wow.............
Who are you going around bashing me on other sites? I'm on the verge of losing everything and im just looking for help. Why don't you leave some knowledgeable feedback or just don't say anything at all.

Last edited:

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
The electrical related issues ar likely caused by a seal or failing alternator including the airbag light. The cv issues are a separate problem, and yes a cv coming apart will leave you stranded.
I'm sorry what's the seal you're referring to?

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
https://ibb.co/M5xxWCb

So the alternator one feels really smooth going eitherway. All other seem fine. Though I'm confused with the alternator pulley and clutch pulley. Are the same thing?

Mozambiquer

TDI
https://ibb.co/M5xxWCb

So the alternator one feels really smooth going eitherway. All other seem fine. Though I'm confused with the alternator pulley and clutch pulley. Are the same thing?
The alternator has a one way clutch pulley that absorbs the shock from the serpentine belt. You can either twist the pulley and grab, the rotor should continue one direction and not the other, or you can put a blunt tool in the front of the alternator to hold the rotor still while you twist the pulley one way and the other. The pulley should spin one direction and not the other with the rotor held still.

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Holding the rotor so I have leverage to turn one way but the pulley won't ratchet either way. Maybe I'm not doing it right

chz17

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta TDI GL 5spd, 2004 jetta TDI PD
If you hold inside alternator rotor station and you can not turn the pulley either way, than the pulley is lock up.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Holding the rotor so I have leverage to turn one way but the pulley won't ratchet either way. Maybe I'm not doing it right
The pulley is locked up..I would diagnose the no charge before putting a new pulley on though, as the pulley being locked up won't keep it from charging. Check and make sure there is power at the battery stud at the back of the alternator and make sure you have 12 volts with the key on on the activation wire on the regulator (blue one which is on the rounded side of the plug.)
If both of those check out, its likely the alternator itself is failed. You can rebuild them, though the slip rings aren't the easiest to replace and that's often what is failed on those.

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Does the car need to be running for this test? I've already removed the tensioner and belt.

Edit : Okay I see how the works now. Sorry I'm learning all this.

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
No problem….we all gotta start somewhere .
People are here to help.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta 1.9 Diesel GLS , Five Speed Standard Shift
Who are you going around bashing me on other sites? I'm on the verge of losing everything and im just looking for help. Why don't you leave some knowledgeable feedback or just don't say anything at all.
Hes done this to me also.

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
The pulley is locked up..I would diagnose the no charge before putting a new pulley on though, as the pulley being locked up won't keep it from charging. Check and make sure there is power at the battery stud at the back of the alternator and make sure you have 12 volts with the key on on the activation wire on the regulator (blue one which is on the rounded side of the plug.)
If both of those check out, its likely the alternator itself is failed. You can rebuild them, though the slip rings aren't the easiest to replace and that's often what is failed on those.
I put the tensioner and belt back on though I did have the battery un hooked for a day or so and when it turned over it idled poorly so I shut it off

Mozambiquer

TDI

I got the new alternator,tensioner and belt on. I've never put one of these on before really and I wanted to see if this looks right.
Thats not routed correctly. Look up the belt routing for that car online that's going to be the easiest.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
From elsewhere on this here site:

Thread with all of the discussion and some more images and diagrams: